Toronto Police are warning people against buying gaming systems online after “numerous” robberies, including violent ones, were reported.
The PS5 retails for $629.99, the Series X for $599.99. Average resale prices in the GTA hover around $1,000 and $800, respectively.
Police say they have received “numerous reports of robberies” involving people “selling game systems online.”
Weapons and violence were used in some of the robberies, they say.
PUBLIC SAFETY ALERT:
City of Toronto
– People are selling game systems online
– We have had numerous reports of robberies
– Some robberies are with weapons/violence
* Sellers advised to choose meeting areas carefully *
* Let someone know where you’re meeting *#GO2174796
— Toronto Police Operations (@TPSOperations) November 17, 2020
Toronto Police advised those selling the systems to let someone know where they’re meeting a prospective buyer and carefully choose the location.