Toronto Police seized $700,000 worth of drugs and $60,000 in cash as part of a major joint investigation with the Ottawa Police Service.
Deputy Chief of Police James Ramer and Inspector Steve Watts of the Drug Squad held a news conference on Project Moses on Monday, saying the investigation began back in October, 2018.
According to police, at the time, members of the Toronto Drug Squad began an investigation into a high-level drug dealer.
- Father charged in death of 11-year-old daughter suffered self-inflicted gunshot wound
- Some a**hole called 911 TWICE to complain about the Amber Alert message
- Netflix announces it's officially opening new production hub in Toronto
It is alleged that the drug operation ranged from the Greater Toronto Area to Ottawa, and the operation involved an intricate drug trafficking network, trap furniture and vehicles with professionally-installed trap compartments and an Airbnb property.
Following an extensive investigation, on Friday, February 15, 2019 and Saturday, February 16, 2019, numerous search warrants were executed by the Drug Squad and the Emergency Task Force.
On Friday, February 15, 2019, Nicholas Ortega, 42, of Ottawa, was arrested and charged with:
- Six counts of Careless Use of a Firearm
- Six counts of Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm
- Six counts of Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Six counts of Possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm with Ammunition
- Two counts of Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Serial Number Has Been Tampered with
- Two counts of Possession of a Prohibited Device
- Possess Firearm Contrary to a Prohibition Order
- Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking in Heroin
- Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking in Cocaine
- Possession for the Purpose of Sell Cannabis
Police say that Canada-wide warrants will be issued for Vincent Yun-Hao Huang, 34, and Daniel Kam-Wah Siu, 33, both of Toronto. They are wanted for numerous firearms and drug charges.
It is further alleged that during the search warrants of three homes, two storage lockers and two vehicles, numerous items were seized by police, including:
- A black SKS assault rifle
- A Smith and Wesson M&P9 9 mm pistol
- A Glock 9×19 9mm pistol with over-capacity magazine and silencer
- A CZ 40 .40 pistol
- A Sturm Ruger and Co pistol
- A Smith and Wesson .40 cal pistol
- A Taurus 9mm pistol
- 1016 rounds of various ammunition (9mm, .40, .45, .223, .22)
- 2.5 kilograms of powder cocaine
- One kilogram of fentanyl
- 500 grams of heroin
- Two kilograms of marihuana
- $60,000 in proceeds of crime
- Drug packaging paraphernalia
- Scales, a vacuum sealer, and money counters