Toronto is extending the cancellation of City-led and City-permitted major festivals and events to slow the spread of COVID-19.
According to the City of Toronto, events or festivals with attendance of more than 250 people are cancelled through July 31, and those with attendance of 25,000 or more through August 31.
The City said the resumption or cancellation of professional sporting events is not included in this decision.
This decision follows the cancellation of all such events up to June 30, announced by the City on March 30, and the cancellation of Canada Day events.
“It is with deep regret that we are forced to extend the cancellation of large festivals to continue to stop the spread of COVID-19 and save lives,” said Mayor John Tory.
“Special events and festivals are critical to the livability, vitality and economic success of Toronto, and that is why we are launching the Cultural Festivals Recovery Program to ensure that when we defeat COVID-19, these festivals can return safely and contribute to Toronto’s economic recovery.”
The City says the cancellation of major mass participation events of more than 250 people until July 31 includes Salsa on St Clair, Toronto Outdoor Art Fair, Honda Indy, Toronto Triathlon Festival, Beaches International Jazz Festival, and Big on Bloor, among others.
As for events of more than 25,000 people until August 31 includes Jerkfest, Taste of the Danforth, Taste of Manila, and Toronto Chinatown Festival, among others.
To mitigate the impacts of these cancellations, Tory announced on Friday that the City will repurpose grant funding that was previously approved by City Council, in order to support festivals that have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.