A long-term care facility in Scarborough has confirmed 92 COVID-19 cases with 29 reported deaths due to a recent outbreak.
On Wednesday, Toronto Public Health (TPH) confirmed that 92 residents of Kennedy Lodge Long Term Care Home in Scarborough have tested positive for coronavirus since the outbreak began on October 2.
So far, 29 residents have died during the outbreak and 32 have recovered.
“The team at Kennedy Lodge offers its most sincere condolences to the families and friends of the residents who passed away during the pandemic,” Dr. Rhonda Collins, Chief Medical Officer of Revera, the company that owns Kennedy Lodge, said in a written statement.
TPH also confirmed that 35 staff members have tested positive and 17 have recovered, with the remaining staff members staying at home in self-isolation.
So far, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) has helped the facilities with enhanced cleaning, infection control, and PPE education.
“All residents are monitored closely for symptoms twice daily and are tested if they present any potential signs or symptoms of the virus. All staff are screened at the beginning and end of their shifts. All staff are required to wear an appropriate mask and eye protection while in the home,” Collins said.
Currently, all residents are being asked to self-isolate in their rooms with meals being served with supervision and assistance as required.
Collins added that Kennedy Lodge is updating residents, their families and the staff on the status of the outbreak.
As of Wednesday morning, Ontario reported that 93 long-term care homes have active coronavirus outbreaks.
Of the 3,275 total deaths in the province, 2,041 have been residents of long-term care.