Ontario allows short-term rentals to resume this week

Jun 4 2020, 12:14 pm

Ontario has announced short-term rentals will be allowed to resume operations on June 5. This includes cottages, cabins, lodges, condos, and B&Bs.

Minister Victor Fedeli shared a tweet on Thursday sharing the news that the ban will be lifted at 12:01 am.

Earlier this afternoon, Premier Doug Ford confirmed the news saying that “a lot of people need that income and a lot of people want to rent a place.”

On April 4, the province banned short term rentals.

According to the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, the ruling stated that short-term rentals were only permitted for individuals “who are in need of housing during the emergency period” amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Airbnb says that it will continue to support frontline workers as it also looks towards the return of tourism.

“On behalf of Ontario’s Airbnb community of hosts we want to thank the Government of Ontario for their leadership in these difficult times. The government has taken a thoughtful approach to protecting public health while laying a foundation upon which economic recovery can be successful,” said Alex Dagg, at Airbnb, following the province’s announcement.

“We want to ensure a safe and responsible return of travel in Ontario and everywhere we operate.”

The company said that over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, it prepared for the future of travel with a focus on health and prevention.

“Recently we announced our Enhanced Cleaning Initiative, which includes enhanced procedures and guidance for hosts, and is expected to become the leading standard for the entire home-sharing community,” said Dagg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT