Ontario will not be lifting restrictions on the size of gatherings before regions enter Stage 3 of reopening, the health minister confirmed on Tuesday.
During the daily press briefing at Queen’s Park, Health Minister Christine Elliot said any increase in the size of permissible gatherings will only occur in Stage 3.
“The public health doctors who have been advising us are asking that we proceed in stages and not to do things incrementally because they really want to see the effects of everything that we’ve done at a particular stage on its effect on public health,” she said.
“So it is going to be something that will happen together with Stage 3.”
- See also:
Under Stage 2 of the province’s reopening plan, gatherings of no more than 10 people are allowed.
All of Ontario is now in Stage 2 of reopening, with Leamington and Kingsville being the last two cities to get the green-light to join the rest of the province.
While there is no set date for when Stage 3 will happen, usually the province waits two to four weeks between each stage to reevaluate next steps.
On Tuesday, new cases in the province were 112, a second lowest number of new cases in months, with day-over-day numbers now looking similar to the March time period.
“Since it’s going to be last stage, we want to make sure our t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted,” Premier Ford said last week.
Elliot added that health officials are still determining the size gatherings will have when entering Stage 3.