Ontario confirmed 42 more COVID-19 related deaths in long-term care homes with 170 outbreaks in the facilities across the province.
As health officials declare coronavirus cases are in the peak for the general population, long-term care settings are experiencing a different reality.
In Ontario, there are 630 long-term care homes, indicating more than 25% are experiencing outbreaks.
- See also:
On Monday, the Public Health Ontario Daily Epidemiologic Summary (iPHIS) said there are 170 outbreaks in long-term care homes with 497 resident deaths.
So far, 2,346 residents and 1,101 staff have confirmed positive for the virus.
However, the Ministry of Long-Term Care daily report shows difference numbers.
According to the the ministry, there have been 150 outbreaks reported in long-term care homes with 671 resident deaths.
So far, 2,523 residents and 1,187 staff have confirmed positive for the virus.
Since the start of the pandemic, certain long-term care homes in Ontario have been significantly affected by the pandemic.
One being Orchard Villa in Pickering, which has confirmed 48 deaths with 144 resident cases and 60 staff cases.
In Scarborough, two homes have reported high numbers.
Altamont Care Community confirmed 32 deaths, 125 resident cases and 45 staff cases. And, Seven Oaks confirmed 34 deaths, 94 resident cases, and 15 staff cases.
One of the first long-term care homes to be hit was Pinecrest Nursing Home in Bobcaygeon, which now has confirmed 29 deaths with 33 resident cases and 32 staff cases.
According to the province, 32 facilities that once had an outbreak, are now outbreak free.
Last week, the province said that outbreaks in long-term care and congregate settings continue to be a “major concern” and actions are underway to protect vulnerable people in these settings.
On April 22, Ford said the Canadian Armed Forces and the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) will assist five priority long-term care homes in the province, with a specific focus on Toronto.