In case you haven’t heard, Cineplex has begun opening its theatres across the province. The company is taking a phased approach to reopen and the majority of its locations will continue to welcome back guests in the next couple of weeks.
This includes the other 43 theatre locations across Ontario.
Cineplex will be offering $5 tickets and showing “popular new releases and summer favourites you may have missed.”
Beauty and the Beast, Jaws, Jurassic Park and Bohemian Rhapsody are among the $5 movies.
All theatres will have enhanced safety and cleaning measures. There will also be updated procedures to allow for physical distancing both inside and outside of auditoriums.
Some of the safety procedures include reserved seating across the country, reduced capacity and only accepting debit and credit payments.
“The past four months have given us a new appreciation for the importance of friends and family and the power of shared experiences with those we love,” said Ellis Jacob, President and CEO, Cineplex.
“Entertaining is what we do best, and we simply can’t wait to safely welcome guests back to our theatres, The Rec Room and Playdium for some much-deserved entertainment, fun and escape.”
As many regions across Ontario have entered Stage 3, indoor gatherings can increase to 50 people and 100 for outdoor settings. But, for the movie theatre chain, having theatres will only 50 people will not be enough to turn a profit.
Therefore, Cineplex has negotiated with the Ontario government to ease gathering size restrictions for indoor settings.
“Cineplex is currently participating in an industry-wide consultation initiated by the Government of Ontario about appropriate capacity limits for the reopening of cinemas in Stage 3,” Dan McGrath, Chief Operating Officer of Cineplex said in a July statement.
“While we are certainly excited for the day our operations can resume, our top priority has always been the health and safety of our employees and guests and ensuring that their time with us is safe, comfortable and welcoming.”
Here’s a list of all of the Cineplex locations that are now open across the province:
- The Beach Cinemas, Toronto
- Scotiabank Theatre Toronto
- Cineplex Cinemas Varsity and VIP
- Cineplex Cinemas Fairview Mall
- Cineplex Cinemas Scarborough
- Galaxy Cinemas, Barrie
- Cineplex Cinemas Hamilton Mountain, Hamilton
- Cineplex Odeon Gardiners Road Cinemas, Kingston
- Cineplex Cinemas Kitchener and VIP, Kitchener
- SilverCity London Cinemas, London
- The Rec Room (CF Masonville Place), London
- Cineplex Cinemas Milton, Milton
- SilverCity Newmarket Cinemas, Newmarket
- Cineplex Odeon Niagara Square Cinemas, Niagara Falls
- Cineplex Cinemas Winston Churchill & VIP, Oakville
- Cineplex Odeon Oshawa Cinemas, Oshawa
- Scotiabank Theatre Ottawa, Ottawa
- Cineplex Cinemas Ottawa, Ottawa
- Cineplex Cinemas Pickering and VIP, Pickering
- Cineplex Cinemas Empress Walk, Toronto
- Cineplex Cinemas Mississauga, Toronto
- Cineplex Cinemas Queensway & VIP, Toronto
- Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Eglinton and VIP, Toronto
- Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas and VIP, Toronto
- Cineplex Cinemas Yorkdale, Toronto
- Cineplex Odeon Eglinton Town Centre Cinemas, Toronto
- The Rec Room (Roundhouse), Toronto
- SilverCity Richmond Hill, Richmond Hill
- SilverCity Sudbury Cinemas, Sudbury
- Galaxy Cinemas Waterloo, Waterloo
- Playdium, Whitby
- Cineplex Cinemas Vaughan, Woodbridge
If you’re not quite ready to go back to the movies yet, there are a bunch of drive-in cinemas that have also reopened.
Enjoy your popcorn.