As the job market goes through an unpredictable time due to the pandemic, it can feel like a discouraging time to try and find work, especially when workplace rules are constantly changing.
But it might be comforting to know that tech and finance companies are actively looking to hire for many positions, offering plenty of work perks and the chance to be part of an innovative team.
And the economy is slowly making a comeback.
Employment in Canada rose by 378,000 jobs in September, according to the latest Statistics Canada report. The rise in jobs brought employment levels within 720,000 of the pre-coronavirus level as reported in February.
Daily Hive has compiled a list of 10 companies and startups hiring for 133 positions in Toronto. So while the economy is facing challenges, there are still opportunities in and around the city.
- See also:
- Who: Spocket is a Vancouver-based dropshipping platform and online merchant marketplace that connects entrepreneurs with verified US and European-based suppliers. In 3 years, Spocket has grown to over 60,000 active customers. In 2018, Spocket was chosen to be part of the Techstars accelerator program. Founder and CEO Saba Mohebpour was featured as a Forbes 30 Under 30 in the eCommerce and retail category for 2020 and is an active member of C100.
- Jobs: Spocket is looking for a range of positions including Senior Director of Engineering, Senior Performance Marketer and Product Designer (a Toronto based employee would work remotely with the Vancouver team)
- Perks: We have curated a mission-driven workplace in which we believe in a positive and supportive team. We offer all teammates the opportunity to provide insights on strategy and improve processes across the business. We love hanging out. A team that has fun together, stays together! We offer benefits so you can focus on building an awesome company!
- More: To learn more about Spocket and to check out their current openings, visit www.spocket.co/careers.
- Who: Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use global cloud-based accounting platform for small businesses and their advisors. The company has 2 million subscribers in more than 180 countries. Xero seamlessly integrates with more than 800 apps. It was ranked No. 1 by Forbes as the World’s Most Innovative Growth Company for two years running, was included in the 2020 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for their ongoing emphasis on fostering workplace diversity, and recently established Toronto as their North American technology and product hub.
- Jobs: Xero Canada is hiring for a number of roles on their Product, Design, Development, Sales, and Technology teams, including an Agile Team Lead, Senior Developer (Test), Senior Software Developer (Bills), Software Developer (Test), Regulatory Risk and Compliance Manager, Tax & Accounting Product Compliance Manager, Product Architect, Account Manager, Sales Enablement Manager, Principle Engineer and more.
- Perks: Xero offers a number of great perks including Health and Wellness benefits coverage, a generous employee share scheme, leave allowance and parental leave benefits. In an effort to support their remote workforce through COVID-19, Xero extended their employee benefits to include robust wellness resources and access to wellness webinars built on physical, mental, social, financial and environmental wellbeing.
- More: To learn more about Xero and check out the current openings, visit their careers page.
- Who: Humi is Canada’s leading HR, Payroll, and Benefits solution companies for rapidly scaling small and medium-sized businesses across Canada. A company filled with builders and boundary-pushers, Humi is focused on building the tools to help Canadian organizations foster their greatest asset: their employees. Before Humi, there was no truly unified solution that tied together the intricacies of HR for SMBs.
- Jobs: Humi is hiring for a Product Manager, Payroll and Software Engineering Lead.
- Perks: Remote-work friendly, equity ownership for all full-time employees, and a competitive employee benefits package, which includes a subscription to an on-demand virtual healthcare app, so you can see a doctor and get a prescription in the comfort of your home.
- More: To learn more about Humi and to check out their current openings, visit their careers page.
- Who: Lighthouse Labs was created in 2013 by a team of software developers with a passion for code, mentorship, and education. Their mission: to transform the way that tech education is delivered.
- Jobs: Lighthouse Labs is looking for a Senior HR Manager, Content Writer, Technical Recruiter, Learning Experience Designer (6 month contract) and Remote PT Web Development Mentor/Instructor to join their league of extraordinary people.
- Perks: Lighthouse Labs is an inclusive employer, with diverse (and dog-friendly!) campuses across the country. Employees enjoy remote flexibility, employee benefits, and additional time off over the Christmas holiday season.
- More: You can learn more about Lighthouse Labs openings on their careers page.
- Who: Myant is a health tech company bringing textile computing to another level. It knits sensors and actuators into everyday textiles, giving them the ability to sense and react to the human body. The interface to the human operating system will help people proactively manage health and deliver treatment.
- Jobs: The company is currently hiring for 15 jobs including a Platform Developer, R&D Electrical/Biomedical Engineer, Knitting Operator, HR Coordinator and more.
- More: To see more on careers, go here.
- Who: NorthOne is a mobile-first API-based banking platform that helps startups and small businesses bank, manage their finances, and integrate all of their financial tools in a simple and intuitive way.
- Jobs: The company is currently hiring for 16 positions, including Customer Care Specialist, Full Stack Developer, Lead Mobile Developer, Head of People and Content Marketing Lead.
- Perks: The company provides health and dental benefits, flexible vacation and work hours and provides the latest equipment.
- More: If you want to find out more about careers, go here.
- Who: Wealthsimple is the largest automated investing service in Canada. Started by Michael Katchen five years ago, Wealthsimple is an online investment management company that promises quality financial guidance at a price lower than the incumbents, including all major banks.
- Jobs: This Toronto company is currently looking to fill 24 positions in the city including Fraud Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, HR Business Partner and more.
- Perks: Savings plans, top-tier healthcare, free daily lunches, endless snacks and beverages, paid-time-off and holidays, Bike Share Toronto membership, professional development budget, and all employees are allowed to build their own tech setup and can choose the computer and monitor of their choice.
- More: You can find a full list of these current openings on the Wealthsimple jobs page.
- Who: Opencare is the largest leading platform that enables patients to connect with the perfect healthcare provider.
- Jobs: Opencare is currently looking to hire for seven jobs, including Customer Enablement Specialist, Dental Billing Special, Engineer Manager and Full Stack Developer (winter 2002 internship).
- Perks: Learning and personal growth, competitive compensation, equity in Opencare, full health benefits, healthy snacks, a beer fridge, and unlimited vacation and sick days.
- More: Learn more about this company and current openings on the Opencare career page.
- Who: This company aims to create an easier online grocery shopping experience. n 2018, Unata joined forces with Instacart to provide “the most comprehensive, innovative digital grocery solution on the market.”
- Jobs: The company is currently hiring for 23 jobs in Toronto which include, Sales Engineer, Director of Engineering, Director of Retail Accounts, Senior Strategic Partner Manager and more.
- Perks: Catered lunch every day in the office and a great community feel with meetups, workshops, and volunteer outings.
- More: You can learn more about Unata on their careers page.
- Who: Prodigy connects in-class learning to at-home math practice making it “your go-to platform for effective blended and virtual learning.”
- Jobs: The company is currently hiring for 17 jobs including Director of Sales, Financial Analyst, Mobile Technical Lead, Senior Customer Support Specialist and more.
- Perks: Full benefits, full gym and learning fund, flexible hours and a positive social experience.
- More: To learn more about the company go here.
This list is accurate as of October 23.