Annual Halloween party on Church street officially cancelled

Sep 11 2020, 12:26 pm

To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the annual Halloween street party on Church Street in Toronto will not be taking place this year.

On Friday, organizers of the event said the street party in the Church and Wellesley area would be cancelled due to Stage 3 provincial guidelines.

The event can attract thousands of people and is one of many festivities cancelled this year.

“We are working to create a calendar of events happening at our local businesses for you to celebrate and support,” the organizers said.

“To continue to help stop the spread of COVID-19, we encourage you to please stick to your social bubble. We must all do our part to help keep our community safe.”

On Thursday, Premier Doug Ford said that children trick-or-treating on Halloween makes him “nervous” and that he would prefer they don’t go door-to-door.

“We have to be so, so careful. That’s a month and a half away. Taking care of the kids is a priority, and Halloween, that makes me nervous,” Ford said.

Earlier on Friday, Ontario reported 213 new cases, the highest numbers since the end of June.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT