Calling all Internet nerds! An international Wikipedia conference is coming to Montreal this week.
Wikimania 2017 celebrates Wikipedia, the giant public online encyclopedia.
Nearly 1,000 volunteers and free knowledge leaders from around the globe will be coming together to discuss issues related to the Wikimedia movement, and report on new projects and ideas.
Attendees will be able to take part in a two-day hackathon, training sessions, workshops, and presentations, in order to learn more about free knowledge projects and digital rights.
This year’s conference will also present a unique opportunity for participants to engage in Wikimedia 2030: a global consultation to define Wikimedia’s future role in the world.
Special guests attending the conference include:
- Jimmy Wales, founder of Wikipedia
- Katherine Maher, Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Christophe Henner, Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Harout Chitilian, Vice-president of the Executive Committee, City of Montreal
- Maureen Clapperton, Director general of the National Library, BAnQ
Get the full details and conference schedule here.
Where: Centre Sheraton Montréal, 1201 Boulevard René-Lévesque O
When: August 11 to 13