The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has increased to 487 total, with 52 new deaths being announced in the past 24 hours.
After offering his condolences to families and loved ones of the victims, Quebec Premier François Legault updated the rest of the provincial numbers and revealed that Quebec now has 14,860 known cases and said that 984 are hospitalized, while 218 are in intensive care.
A total of 128,314 cases have turned up negative throughout Quebec.
- See also:
Legault continued to stress how important it is for Quebec to fortify staff at long-term care homes (CHSLDs). “Of course, we continue following the situation every day closely in CHSLDs, we continue asking each CHSLD how many people they need and of course, we’re sending the maximum amount of reinforcements to them.”
The premier said, including private long-term care homes, Quebec is missing “about 2,000 staff members.”
Even though some doctors may be overqualified to work in long-term care homes, Legault is asking doctors to come help on CHSLDs.
“We need more, we’re missing people, we’re missing hands,” he urged.
Last week, Legault said 90% of the COVID-19 fatalities in the province are within citizens who are 70 years old and older. He says 9% are between the ages of 60 and 69. “It means on the one hand, it’s reassuring for the younger people, but it also shows us where we have to put our attention.”
“We need everybody,” he said. “We need more staff. We need nurses, doctors, all the personnel with expertise to help us in CHSLDs. We need people with expertise in medical science to help all across the province.”
The premier said the province is short CHSLD workers due to former staff members who have contracted the virus or those who fear that they may.
Legault concluded his presser by saying Quebecers need to continue respecting the guidelines. “We have saved hundreds of lives by respecting rules,” he said. “We are getting through this. We care particularly about CHLDS but it is important to continue to follow the guidelines.”
“We will get through this and will soon be able to face the beautiful days,” he said in French.
#COVID19 – Au Québec, en date du 15 avril 2020 à 13h, la situation est la suivante :
14 860 cas confirmés
128 314 analyses négatives (cas infirmés)
984 personnes hospitalisées
— Santé Québec (@sante_qc) April 15, 2020
Quebec is one of the global leaders when it comes to screening tests, according to the premier, hence the consistent influx of known cases throughout the province.
Legault said that for Quebecers who do go outside, they are to remain two metres (six feet) away from people and are urged to wash their hands when they return to their homes.
Canada’s coronavirus death toll now totals 954.