Pokémon GO is taking over our lives. Here’s the lowdown.
What the hell is Pokémon GO?
You remember the Pokémon games from the 1990s right? Well, this July, (like everything else we remember from our childhoods) it got a reboot, with the release of Pokémon GO.
As you walk around, your avatar does too – the goal being to find Pokéstops and Pokémon gyms, where you can collect items or battle others for supremacy.
Just how popular is Pokémon GO?
Pokémon GO has been at the top of the US Apple App Store and the Google Play App charts since the day of its release, July 6.
According to analytics site SimilarWeb, Pokémon GO’s already on more US Android devices than Tinder and most of those downloaders are using it more than Whatsapp, Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook Messenger.
Is Pokémon GO available in Canada?
Pokémon GO is only officially available in the US, Australia, and New Zealand – but a huge number of people around the world are trying to download it with workarounds.
On Android, that means using an apk – Android application package – service to access the Canadian version before its release. On iOS, you’ve still got to use a US billing address.
Are there Pokéstops and Pokémon gyms in Montreal?
Yes! Ahead of the Canadian release, players who have managed to download the Pokémon GO in Canada have discovered Pokéstops and Pokémon gyms already here.
Here’s a list of 14 places of interest, whether Pokéstops, Pokémon gyms, or hubs where Pokémon GO players are gathering, around Montreal.
These were sourced from Canadian Pokémon GO players who have posted online – we’ve put together a map below.
- Stewart Biology Building at McGill
- 4 Pokestops at McGill downtown in between Promenade Sir-William-Osler, Doctor Penfield, Peel, and Des Pins
- Stanley Tower Apts on Stanley Street
- Drummond En Haut Condominium on Drummond Street
- Cam Executive Suites on Drummond Street
- Near 1436 Mackay Street
- Jugo Juice Concordia (Guy & St Catherine)
- Lunchbox Cuisinette (Guy & St Catherine)
- In front of Pharmaprix (Guy & St Catherine)
- Yoga Vieux Montreal (on St Jacques)
- Corner of Place d’Youville and St. Francois Xavier
- On Jumonville Street (by Cadillac metro)
- Baldwin Park
- St Joseph’s Oratory on Mount Royal
Map of Pokemon GO Montreal locations
Have you spotted any Pokéstops, Pokémon gyms, or Pokémon GO hotspots in Montreal? Let us know in the comments below!