Montreal police have issued a warning about an individual who uses chocolates to rob the elderly.
According to SPVM, the suspect targets seniors in different areas of the Island of Montreal and Quebec looking to sell their home. The suspect looks up their home listing and shows up at their house claiming to be interested in the purchase.
The suspect then shows up at their door and convinces them to allow him inside. He proceeds to offer the victims chocolates which put the victims to sleep. When the seniors wake up they find they have been robbed.
SPVM have released the following safety tips for seniors:
- Before showing your home for the sale of your home, find out about the individual (s) (name, current place of residence, job, etc.).
- Do not let people in for a visit without making an appointment beforehand and if you are alone at home. During a visit, inform a relative of the moment of this one and the information which you obtained on the person who visits.
- Be sure to stay alert to what people are doing during the visit.
- Do not accept any gift, drink or food offered by a potential buyer.
- Make sure you have easy access to your phone to dial 9-1-1 if the person (s) refuses to leave your home or if you have a problem.
- Do not try to defend yourself and collaborate with the suspect (s).
- Try to remember as much detail as possible about the suspect (s) and dial 9-1-1.