Every day in Canada, a lot of news regarding COVID-19 comes out nationally and locally.
And for now, we will be putting together Montreal and Canada’s top headlines daily to help digest the news in one place.
Throughout the day, you can see all the headlines in real-time here.
Top coronavirus stories for April 9, as of 5 pm ET:
The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has increased to 216 total, with 41 new deaths being announced in the past 24 hours.
After offering his condolences to families and loved ones of the victims, Quebec Premier François Legault updated the rest of provincial numbers and revealed that Quebec now has 10,912 known cases and said that 679 are hospitalized, while 196 are in intensive care.
A total of 102,463 cases have turned up negative throughout Quebec.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called the current physical distancing efforts the “new normal,” as it is expected to continue for months with waves of the pandemic forecasted following the current first breakout.
And “this will be the new normal until a vaccine is developed,” said the prime minister, adding that the vaccine may take up to a year or a year and a half.
Earlier on Thursday, health officials presented Canada’s coronavirus modelling projections, which showed that the pandemic arrived later in Canada compared to other countries.
“We’re in the earlier state of the outbreak,” said Trudeau. “We’re at a fork in the road in terms of outcomes.”
It goes without saying, the Easter Holidays will have a vastly different feel this coming weekend than in years past.
Quebec Premier François Legault is urging citizens not to go see their families this weekend and asks Quebecers to celebrate the holiday weekend through video or phone calls.
The City of Montreal, in the context of the pandemic, has made “a few changes” to essential services provided on Good Friday and Easter Monday.
Canada’s COVID-19 transmission hasn’t peaked yet, but the first wave of the pandemic may last until summer, according to the federal top health officials.
Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam and Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Howard Njoo released Canada’s modelling projections on Thursday, forecasting up to 700 deaths and 31,850 coronavirus cases across the country by April 16.
The federal modelling shows “where we are and where we might be heading.”
As stricter measures were put in place to stop the spread of COVID-19, Canada’s job market took a significant hit, losing more than one million jobs since last month.
According to Statistic Canada, employment fell by 1,011,000 or 5.3% in March — there are over 31 million capable workers in the country.
The employment rate — or the proportion of people aged 15 and older who were employed — fell 3.3% to 58.5%, the lowest rate since April 1997.
The total number of Canadians who were affected by either job loss or reduced hours was 3.1 million people.
Specifically, from March 15 to 21, 1.3 million Canadians who had a job did not work that week. And, people who had a job but worked less than half their usual hours during the same week was 800,000.
Hydro-Québec has reached a mutual assistance agreement with the New York Power Authority (NYPA), guaranteeing that both companies will help each other to provide a continuous supply of electricity throughout the pandemic, if needed.
According to a press release, both Quebec and the state of New York are “acutely aware” of the critical role the power supply plays in the context of the pandemic.
The deal allows for sharing expertise and the potential supply of equipment or materials as needed.
Even events that can be seen at a distance can’t overcome COVID-19’s wrath.
La Ronde has announced the cancellation of the 36th edition of L’International des Feux Loto-Quebec (International Fireworks Competition).
Originally slated to sprinkle over the city from June 20 to July 29, the iconic summertime festival was cancelled as the “safety and health of our guests, team members and community is our foremost priority,” La Ronde said in a statement.