For the seventh year, 24 bars and restaurants in Montreal will pay to play in the GOALMTL – Lions Cup Soccer Tournament, and endeavour to bring the Cup home. An additional team will be made up of Montreal celebrities and media stars.
The event is a fun-filled affair full of activities for the entire family but the main goal is to raise funds for non-profit organizations that help support families, youth, social activities, and education.
To get the full scoop on this amazing initiative, I caught up with Paul Desbaillets, one of the founding partners in GOAL, to give us the 411 on what we can expect this Sunday!
When and how did GOAL form?
A few years back in 2010 my partners and I decided to start a soccer (football) charity event in the city since nobody was doing that and we were the only English pub around. It fit perfectly with what we were doing and it was a fun easy way to give back to our local community where we were doing business.
What is the concept behind it?
We want to use music, art, food, and footie to bring people together for a great cause. We have managed to gather fantastic bars and restaurants from all over the city to participate and we are the only festival that has every major Beer brand together under one roof.
What can people expect this year and can anyone attend?
The list is huge but here are some fun things happening:
- Watch the best bartenders, restaurant staff, local celebs, and media stars on the soccer pitch.
- Watch the Euro Cup quarterfinal match, outdoors on the giant screen, the way that soccer should be watched!
- Hosted by Jason Rockman of CHOM and Patrick Langlois of Énergie radio.
- Grab some drinks and food onsite from Brit & Chips, Thursday’s, Houston’s Junior and Léché Desserts and, of course, Molson, Carlsberg, Labatt and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer; while the Red Bull DJ team spins some summertime music.
- Human foosball, free haircuts by Maison Privée, and the Freestyle Soccer Montreal folks will show you what they can do with soccer balls.
- Kids zone!
- Jerk Chicken competition at 5:00pm (5 of the best jerk chicken restaurants go grill to grill).
- After-party with the Apartment 200 crew and DJs Funkward and Henward until late night.
Any notable people playing this year?
Yes we have an amazing team of supporters including Charles and François Hamelin (Olympians – speedskating), Kevin Gallagher (CTV), Mose Persico (CTV), Andie Bennett (CBC), Bilal Butt (CHOM), Conor McKenna (TSN 690), Bic and JoJo Flores (DJs), Drea Wheeler (fitness expert), Oliver Kult (Maison Privée) and more!
Why did you pick Tyndale-St-Georges as the charity of choice?
We chose Tyndale and Montreal community cares because of all the fantastic work they do for the community and the kids.
Can people sign up to play?
Teams are set but we have a free Human BabyFoot tournament anyone can enter and other great things happening on the sidelines all day!
What are you hoping for the tournament this year?
We’re hoping to fill the stands and pitch with like-minded individuals that like to do good and have a great time while helping out the community!
GOAL MTL Tournament
When: July 3 from 12 pm and on…
Where: Percival Molson Stadium, 475 Av des Pins O, Montréal
Tickets: Free entry