Canada’s birthday is almost here! Whether you’re planning on watching the fireworks, eating free cake, or attending a parade, we’re confident Canadians are going to enjoy their long weekend.
In order to plan for this weekend’s patriotic festivities however, we’ve compiled a list of what will remain open and what will be closed in Montreal on Canada Day 2018.
Please note that for a lot of businesses, the holiday falls on Monday, July 2 as Canada Day officially takes place on a Sunday this year.
The list isn’t exhaustive enough to cover every shop, restaurant and retail store in town, we recommend that if you’re in doubt, call the business directly to hear their Canada Day hours.
- All banks will be closed
- All federal and provincial government offices will be closed
- Municipal court will be closed
- Many private sectors will be closed
- Most retail stores and malls will be closed (with the exception of smaller stores)
- Most post offices will be closed
- 311, the City of Montreal’s information hotline, is open to field questions
- The SAQ will remain open (except for those located inside shopping malls)
- Most restaurants will remain open
- Some depanneurs will remain open
- Some pharmacies will remain open, especially larger chains like Jean Coutu and Pharmaprix
- Most grocery stores and supermarkets will be open at their leisure but staff and hours may be reduced
- The Biodome, the Botanical Garden, and the Montreal Science Centre will remain open
- Garbage and recycling pickup will mostly continue as normal
- Most movie theatres will remain open
- Montreal museums such as the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, the McCord Museum, and Pointe-A-Calliere will remain open
- Farmers’ markets, including Atwater Market, Jean-Talon Market, and Maisonneuve Market will remain open
- Public transit will remain in operation, though it will be operating on a weekend schedule
- Montreal Casino will remain open
- Most arenas, swimming pools, gyms, sports centres and parks remain open
- Service-based businesses (hair salons, gas stations, manufacturers) remain open at the owner’s discretion
- Parking meters are in operation
Happy Canada Day, Montreal!