COVID-19 has hit the Montreal Canadiens.
The Canadiens will be without two players in their lineup for an undetermined amount of time.
Both Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Joel Armia were placed on the NHL’s COVID protocol list today, meaning they are unavailable to practice, travel, or play games. It doesn’t necessarily mean that either player has tested positive, as players can be put into protocol for other reasons too.
According to the NHL, COVID protocol-related absences can be the result of a number of factors, including:
- An initial positive test which remains unconfirmed until confirmatory testing is completed pursuant to the Positive Test Protocol
- Mandated isolation for symptomatic individuals pursuant to the Positive Test Protocol
- Required quarantine as a high-risk close contact in accordance with the Positive Test Protocol
- Isolation based on a confirmed positive test result
- Quarantine for travel or other reasons as outlined in the COVID-19 Protocol
The Habs begin a three-game series against the Edmonton Oilers tonight at 7 pm ET at the Bell Centre.