The rule of any halfway successful industry in Canada is that it requires an award show and it required one last week.
Cannabis is no different.
Lift & Co. is hosting an annual event that recognizes some of the best retailers, personalities, and companies in the cannabis industry. The Canadian Cannabis Awards released the shortlist of nominees up for one of the biggest prizes in the business.
Taking place in Toronto on November 8, this year’s event is particularly important as it marks the first time the CCAs have been held since legalization.
“The industry marked the first full year of legal recreational sales on October 17, 2019, and we are all looking ahead to a significant second year in Canadian cannabis,” said Matei Olaru, CEO of Lift & Co. “To be shortlisted in these categories is a major accomplishment. Our congratulations go out to these leaders who have shaped the last year, and who are poised to set the standards for excellence in cannabis in Canada and around the globe.”
The 2019 CCAs cover a total of 32 judged and consumer-choice categories. A full list of categories and voting information can be found here.
Entrepreneur of the Year
This award recognizes the endeavours of exceptional people who create the products and services that keep our industry moving forward. The winner embodies the spirit of cannabis entrepreneurship: tenacity, creativity, and leadership.
- Darren Bondar, Spiritleaf
- Angela Marks, BC Trimmers
- Pat McCutcheon & Keith Strachan, MediPharm Labs
- Drummond Munro, Superette
- Joshua Vera, Elevate
Womxn in Weed – Trailblazer
This award recognizes the high achievers, advocates, and role models for womxn within the cannabis industry.
- Sony Gokhale, The Supreme Cannabis Company, Inc.
- Mimi Lam, Superette
- Angela Marks, B.C. Trimmers
- Rebecca Phillips, 7ACRES
- Trang Trinh, TREC Brands Inc.
- Jo Vos, Leafly
This individual displays a high level of passion and knowledge about the products and industry, shows a commitment to customer service, and consistently displays a positive attitude.
- Jessica Cadney, Hobo, Ottawa
- Liam English, Fire & Flower, Ottawa
- Ellen McKay, Superette, Ottawa
- Mona Pinette, Spiritleaf, Calgary
- Jordan Prentice, NOVA Cannabis Off Whyte, Edmonton
Top Master Grower
The backbone of the industry, these individuals excel in all phases of the growing process, setting themselves apart by demonstrating superb management characteristics, commitment to quality product, and a passion for the industry.
- Kevin Anderson, Broken Coast Cannabis Ltd.
- John Barnet, Aurora Cannabis
- Leo Benne, Zenabis Global Inc.
- Melanie Carruthers, 7ACRES
- Liam McKenzie, Experion Biotechnologies Inc.
Top Retail Store – Single Location
This retail location and its team deliver unparalleled excellence to its customers. From the look and feel of the store to the buying experience — everything about this location is top notch.
- Ameri—20 Cumberland, Toronto, Ontario
- Elevate—14454 -118 St. NW, Edmonton, Alberta
- Hobo Recreational Cannabis Store—4296 Main St., Vancouver, British Columbia
- Kiaro—1316 Kingsway, Vancouver, British Columbia
- NOVA Cannabis Off Whyte—8015-104 ST. NW, Edmonton, Alberta
- Superette—1306 Wellington St., Ottawa, Ontario
Startup of the Year
This company exemplifies the qualities that define promising startups: plucky, innovative, and creative. Its top-notch team identifies and solves industry problems and contributes beneficially to the cannabis sector.
- ND Supplies Inc.
- OGEN Bloom Cultivation
- Quality Green Inc.
- TREC Brands Inc.