
Telus World of Science Edmonton (TWOSE) now expects to reopen in early 2027 as restoration work moves ahead following repeated flooding at the facility this summer.
The science centre announced Tuesday that it had received confirmation from the City of Edmonton that major repair and restoration work can proceed, with construction currently expected to be completed in December.

Telus World of Science Edmonton
An exact reopening date has not been set and will be announced as restoration work progresses, TWOSE said in a press release.
The new timeline extends the closure beyond its previous goal of reopening in November.
“While it’s later than our initial estimate, confirmation that major repair and restoration work can now begin is an important milestone,” said president and CEO Constance Scarlett.

Telus World of Science Edmonton
“We now have a clearer path forward, and our team is focused on completing this work carefully, safely, and responsibly so we can welcome our community back to the Science Centre.”
- You might also like:
- New Edmonton night market with over 40 food vendors and a big carnival opens soon
- 17 construction projects to watch out for around Edmonton this fall
- Inside the Alberta Rocky Mountains' newest steakhouse with incredible views
The science centre initially closed after a severe storm on July 10 caused significant flooding and damage to the building.
However, several additional flooding incidents occurred during severe thunderstorms throughout July, causing water to re-enter areas of the building already undergoing assessment and recovery work.
According to TWOSE, the repeated flooding delayed the start of major restoration work as it worked with the City of Edmonton and recovery partners to address the risk of more water entering the building.

Telus World of Science Edmonton
The affected areas of the building require extensive restoration, including the removal and replacement of flooring, cabinetry, drywall, and other building materials.
Access to many areas remains restricted to authorized recovery personnel wearing the required personal protective equipment and following established safety protocols.
The extended closure comes after Telus World of Science temporarily laid off a significant portion of its workforce in July due to the interruption of most onsite programs and operations.
At the time, the science centre said its November reopening timeline was only a planning estimate and that it had hoped to explore opportunities for a safe partial reopening earlier in the fall.
“Our focus remains on reopening safely and bringing our people and community back together,” Scarlett said.
“But our mission has never been limited to what happens inside our building. Science is for everyone, and throughout this closure, we will continue finding ways to spark curiosity, create meaningful connections and bring science into our community.”
TWOSE will continue sharing verified updates through its website and official social media channels.