Canada has eight injured players who could miss FIFA World Cup

With less than a month to go until the opening whistle of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, there is still uncertainty surrounding Canada’s men’s national team roster and which 26 players will be named to the squad on May 29.
As things stand, Canada has eight key players currently sidelined with injuries. Some appear on track to return in time for the team’s June 12 opener against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Toronto, while others, including captain Alphonso Davies, remain to be major question marks.
Here is the latest on each injured Canadian player and where things stand ahead of the tournament.
Alphonso Davies (hamstring)
The situation surrounding Davies and his availability for the World Cup opener has quickly become one of the biggest storylines around the Canadian team.
Davies suffered a left hamstring tear during a May 6 match against Paris Saint-Germain. At the time, Davies’ club, Bayern Munich, said he would miss “several weeks,” but it has since become clear that the recovery process will be between four and six weeks, which has put a cloud over his availability for Canada’s June 12 opener.
Bayern Munich also reportedly informed Canada Soccer on May 15 that the club wants to be involved in any decision regarding Davies’ World Cup participation. One reported condition is that Davies be primarily treated and medically cleared by Bayern’s own doctors.
Bayern will not allow Alphonso Davies and the Canadian federation to make the decision over his World Cup participation by themselves, especially after the wrong diagnosis of the ACL injury in March 2025. One of the conditions put by Bayern is that Davies should mainly be treated… pic.twitter.com/kK27h1dqOV
— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) May 15, 2026
The club’s concern came after the way Canada Soccer handled Davies’ ACL injury diagnosis during an international break in March 2025.
Canada’s remaining group-stage matches are scheduled for Vancouver against Qatar on June 18 and Switzerland on June 24, which could provide Davies with additional recovery time if he misses the opener.
There is little doubt Davies will be named to Canada’s 26-man squad. The bigger question is whether Bayern Munich will ultimately allow him to participate.
Moïse Bombito (left leg)
Moïse Bombito may be the player Canada needs back most urgently, given the team’s lack of depth along the back line, particularly at centre-back.
The 26-year-old continues to recover from a fractured left tibia suffered last October while playing for OGC Nice in Ligue 1.
Good #CanMNT news this morning as Moïse Bombito has returned to partial training with OGC Nice.
He was doing very gentle work last month with the #CanMNT.
There’s still reasonable hope he can play a significant role at the World Cup.
— Ben Steiner (@BenSteiner00) April 29, 2026
Bombito has reportedly returned to training with Nice and is targeting a return for Canada’s opener against Bosnia and Herzegovina. Canada also has tune-up friendlies against Ireland and Uzbekistan before the World Cup, giving fans a possible opportunity to see him back in action before the tournament begins.
Ali Ahmed (ankle)
Canadian midfielder Ali Ahmed has taken a step forward in his development this year for English side Norwich City. Ahmed left the game with an injury during the final game of the season and suffered an ankle injury, according to the club.
Ahmed travelled to Canada on May 14 to begin rehab on the ankle to ensure he is ready for the start of the World Cup campaign.
Richie Laryea (thigh)
Toronto FC defender Richie Laryea is dealing with a thigh injury that has kept him out of his club’s last three games. Despite the setback, Toronto FC said they are confident Laryea will be fit to return before the World Cup break.

Richie Laryea with Canada’s men’s national soccer team in a FIFA World Cup tune-up match in Toronto. (Lucas Medeiros/Offside)
Toronto FC’s final game before the break is on May 23 against the Chicago Fire.
Luc de Fougerolles (concussion)
Canadian defender Luc de Fougerolles suffered a concussion during the final game of the season for Belgian side Dender EH. He was taken out of the game, but TSN’s Matthew Scianitti reported that there are no deep concerns around his health at this point for the FIFA World Cup.
Promise David (hip)
If Promise David can find his way back to form and be on this 26-man roster, he could be an underrated option up front. In 37 games with Belgian side Union SG this year, David scored 15 goals, and he missed a good portion of the season.
Promise David provides an update on his recovery timeline, as the CanMNT 🇨🇦 star fights to be ready for World Cup 🎙️
“I’ve been joking with the physios: I’m practically part-Viltrumite – superhuman – so they can accelerate the process… safely!”
▶️ Watch THE SIT-DOWN by Visa pic.twitter.com/gzST2Ngc6y
— OneSoccer (@onesoccer) May 5, 2026
The 24-year-old is recovering from hip surgery and is scheduled to undergo an MRI at the end of May that could determine his World Cup fate, per TSN’s Matthew Scianitti.
Alfie Jones (ankle)
Another member of Canada’s depleted back line, Jones, underwent surgery on his ankle in January and has not played since. According to his club, Middlesbrough, Jones could return on May 22 for the club’s final fixture of the 2025-26 season against Hull City.
Kamal Miller (hamstring)
Miller left the Portland Timbers match against Inter Miami on May 17, grabbing his right hamstring and wincing in pain. The injury was reported to be “not as bad as it first appeared,” according to TSN’s Scianitti.