Bomb threat at Royal Alexandra Hospital prompts evacuation

Nov 5 2019, 3:37 pm

Royal Alexandra Hospital has resumed normal operations after an alleged bomb threat lead to an evacuation earlier this afternoon.

According to Edmonton Police Service, the original call came in to police just after 11 am this morning,

“EPS Bomb Detail was in the process of clearing the hospital. Some areas of the hospital were evacuated for precautionary reasons. Citizens [were] asked to avoid the area for the time being to allow officers room to work,” said Cheryl Voordenhout, communications advisor with the Edmonton Police.

According to Edmonton Police, three packages were located within the hospital, and were not found to be suspicious.

The threat was concluded and the hospital was reopened around 2:20 p.m.

One person is currently being held by police for questioning, according to an email from Edmonton Police Service.

Alberta Health Services tweeted out that the threat was over and they were aiming to be up and running as soon as possible.

“The Royal Alexandra Hospital will resume normal operations as quickly as possible following a bomb threat against the site this afternoon. The Edmonton Police Service has given the all clear,” said Alberta Health Services on Twitter.

Police say there is no risk to public safety at this time, and the investigation is ongoing.

AHS did not reply to our request for comment by time of publication.