Parks Canada officials say a wildfire in Verdant Creek area of Kootenay National Park has grown since it was first detected on July 15.
Due to the fire, area closures in Kootenay and Banff national parks are in place.
“Parks Canada staff, with contracted helicopters, are actively managing the fire,” reads a statement on Parks Canada’s online bulletin.
What is closed
In Kootenay National Park
- Honeymoon Pass/Verdant Creek
- Simpson River trails
In Banff National Park
- All of the Egypt Lake trails
- Including Healy Pass, Simpson Pass, Whistling Valley and Pharoah Creek
Backcountry camping permits in this area are cancelled until further notice.
What is open
- Sunshine Village and its summer use trails
- Shadow Lake Lodge and other tourism operations in the area remain open
- Hawk Creek Trail to Ball Pass
- Redearth Trail to Ball Pass
- Highway 93 South
The closures will remains in place until further notice and Parks Canada will continue to monitor the area to ensure on-going public safety.
You can report wildfires, illegal campfires, or suspicious smoke to Banff Dispatch at 403-762-4506.