Curious as to what’s open on Christmas Day in Calgary? Here are some places that’ll have their doors open, just in case you forgot to pick something up of if you’re looking to get out of the house.
- Where: PO Box 1520, Banff
- Phone: 403-762-4421
- Website: winter.banffnorquay.com
- Phone: 403-762-4754
- Webiste: skibanff.com
- Where: 1 Whitehorn Road, Lake Louise
- Phone: 403-522-3555
- Website: skilouise.com
Outdoor skating rinks are everywhere and if the weather permits they’ll be open to the public.
- Where: 14 Street NW, Calgary
- Cost: Free
- Where: Nose Creek Park, Airdrie
- Cost: Admission by donation
- Where: 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
- Cost: Free
If you’re feeling like a show, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is playing at theatres around Calgary – check here for your nearest location.
Last minute shopping
If you’re desperate, try heading to a local convenience store as most major centres and grocery stores are closed, including Market Mall, Southcentre Mall, Sunridge Mall, CrossIron Mills, Chinook Centre, The CORE, Superstore, Safeway, Sunterra Market, and Sobeys.
Charcut Roast House (only the lounge portion)
- Where: 101, 899 Centre Street SW
- Website: charcut.com
- Where: 106 3rd Avenue SE
- Phone: 403-264-5326
- Where: 320 4th Avenue SW
- Phone: 403-508-5146
- Website: westincalgary.com
The Fairmont Palliser
- Where: 133 9th Avenue SW
- Phone: (403) 260-1219
- Website: fairmont.com; Christmas Day Dinner Buffet, Served in the Crystal Ballroom on Friday, December 25 from 2 to 7:30 p.m. $120 per person. Includes live music and children’s activities.
Barclay’s Upscale Casual Restaurant
- Where: 112 Stephen Avenue Walk
- Phone: 403-537-4449
- Website: hyatthotels.hyatt.com; Christmas Day Brunch from noon to 7 p.m.
- Where: 107 8 Avenue SW
- Phone: 403-265-9595
- Website: thebelvedere.ca
Gas stations and convenience stores
Most gas stations are open on Christmas Day, including Esso, Petro Canada and Shell, and convenience stores like 7-Eleven.