App-based ride share company Uber is organizing a food drive right here in Calgary. All the food will go directly to the Calgary Food Bank.
On Saturday, December 12, Uber is asking people to download the app and alert drivers in the area that you have extra canned goods or non-perishable food items for donation. They’ll then come by your house and grab them, free of charge.
While Uber has yet to enter the Calgary market, they say they still want to make an impact in the city.
Here’s how you can donate:
- Download the Uber app on your smartphone
- Open the app between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Slide over to the food bank icon and request a pickup at your location
- Meet your driver outside with your items
- The donation will then be delivered to the Calgary Food Bank, courtesy of Uber
All donations should be bagged and put in a box, if possible. The drivers can’t leave the cars unattended, so curb side pickup is mandatory. Some of the most needed items at the Calgary Food Bank include dry pasta, pasta sauce, baby food and formula, canned soup, fruit juice, and canned vegetables and fruit.
You can also donate money directly to the Calgary Food Bank. For every dollar you donate, the food bank distributes $5 worth of food.