The Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) has released its annual list of Canada’s most frequently stolen vehicles.
And while the top ten vehicles stolen nationally may have featured the likes of Lexus and Toyota, it was an entirely different type of transport that thieves were after in the province of Alberta.
- See also:
According to the bureau’s Alberta-specific list, different types of trucks made up the entirety of the top 10.
“Thieves have many motives. This year’s top 10 list confirms some key trends in auto theft that we are now seeing. Regardless of how a vehicle is stolen, auto theft is a serious threat to public safety and continues to cost all Canadians,” said Bryan Gast, National Director, Investigative Services, IBC.
The most commonly stolen vehicles of the year in Alberta are as follows:
How to protect yourself:
To help eliminate auto theft, IBC says motorists can keep their vehicles safe by taking the following steps:
- Never leave a vehicle running when unattended.
- Lock the doors and close all windows when parked.
- Make sure to park in well-lit areas or in the garage.
- Use a visible or audible device that shows thieves a vehicle is protected.
- Consider using a deterrent like a steering wheel or brake pedal lock.
- Don’t leave personal information, like insurance and ownership documents, in the glove box when parked.
IBC’s Top 10 Stolen Vehicles list is compiled using data from IBC’s member companies across the country.
– With files from Tyler Jadah