Calgary’s third annual YYC Pizza Week is taking place around town this week. This year, over 50 restaurants are battling it out in four different categories during event. Contestants may only enter in one of the categories but can offer a gluten free option in that category as well.
- Where: Over 50 restaurants in Calgary – see more information online
- When: September 23 to October 2
Western Canada’s longest running open mic comedy show every week at Broken City. Surprise guests have included, Bob Odenkirk and Zach Galifianakis.
- Where: Broken City – 613 11th Avenue SW
- When: Monday, September 26 at 8pm
- Cost: $5 cover
The Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival returns to the Calgary Zoo for the second year in a row, and this time around there are 145 extra lanterns to dazzle you. The lanterns are seasonal-themed this year, so you’ll be taken on a journey from winter to spring, and they’ll depict culturally significant animals as well as zoo favourites. Relish in the arts of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean cultures, and check out live music, an art gallery, and garden displays as well.
- Where: Calgary Zoo – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Thursday, September 8 to Sunday, October 16
Some 35,000 film fans are expected to attend CIFF this year, which begins on Wednesday, September 21 and runs until October 2, in downtown Calgary. Moviegoers will be able to enjoy 210 films at this year’s festival – 100 features and 110 shorts – including Pedro Almodóvar’s Julieta and Jim Jarmusch’sPaterson.
- Where: Various movie theatres in downtown Calgary
- When: From September 21 to October 2
- Tickets: Available online, individual events start at $15, or a full festival pass is $300
Toronto’s Peaches is back. Always putting on energetic shows, Peaches is known for her electro grooves and explicit lyrics. Having been in the music industry since the early 90s, the always wild and adventurous Peaches is unpredictable, so you never know what you’ll get at her shows.
- When: Monday, September 26 at 8 pm
- Where: Commonwealth, 731 10th Ave SW
- Tickets: Available online at $30. 19+