5 things to do in Calgary today: Monday, September 19
The Dandy Warhols
- What: Portland rockers The Dandy Warhols are on the road promoting their ninth studio album Distortland, which Drowned in Sound called “a welcome return for a band who’ve never been afraid to stick two fingers in the face of adversity.” Expect the band, fronted by Courtney Taylor-Taylor, to perform hits like “This Is The Tide” and “Sad Vacation”.
- When: Monday, September 19 at 7 pm
- Where: Marquee Beer Market & Stage – 4630 MacLeod Trail S
- Tickets: Available online from $39.50 to $97.50. 18+
Design your wine glass
A perfect girls night out. Grab the ladies and design your own custom wine glasses while drinking some wine on the side. Paint two wine glasses along with the help of a professional artist or feel free to create your own masterpieces!
Where: Scotsman’s Well – #116-12024 Symons Valley Road NW
When: Monday, September 19 at 7 pm
Register: Email: [email protected] to reserve your spot
Comedy Monday Nights at Broken City
Western Canada’s longest running open mic comedy show every week at Broken City. Surprise guests have included, Bob Odenkirk and Zach Galifianakis.
- Where: Broken City – 613 11th Avenue SW
- When: Monday, September 12 at 8pm
- Cost: $5 cover
Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival 2016
The Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival returns to the Calgary Zoo for the second year in a row, and this time around there are 145 extra lanterns to dazzle you. The lanterns are seasonal-themed this year, so you’ll be taken on a journey from winter to spring, and they’ll depict culturally significant animals as well as zoo favourites. Relish in the arts of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean cultures, and check out live music, an art gallery, and garden displays as well.
- Where: Calgary Zoo – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Thursday, September 8 to Sunday, October 16
Something Old, Something New: 125 Years of Wedding Fashion
See some of the most trendsetting and common wedding dresses in Alberta from the last 125 years. The exhibition features collections from the Museum of the Highwood, the Red Deer Museum, the Royal Alberta Museum, the Lougheed House Conservation Society, as well as numerous private collections.
- Where: Lougheed House – 707 13th Avenue SW
- When: Now until October 2
- Cost: Regular admission $8.50