5 things to do in Calgary today: Monday, August 1
Aug 2 2016, 12:15 am
It’s Monday and Heritage Day! Which probably means you’ve got a day off and have big plans for a hike in the mountains, or some family time right?
But just in case, here are five more things to do in Calgary this Monday.
Heritage Day Festival at Olympic Plaza
- What: The fun, free, all-ages event will include six hours of multicultural performances, ethnic foods, and unique crafts. In addition to all the delicious food offerings and exciting performances, there will be face painting for the kids, an Indian Village to explore, or you can just lounge by the stage and watch the performances.
- Where: Olympic Plaza – 228 8th Avenue SE
- When: Monday, August 1 from 12 to 6 pm
- Cost: Free
Heritage Day at Fort Calgary
- What: Family-friendly activities where you can make nature crafts with the kids, meet the special Thank You Tree and learn about Fort Calgary’s award-winning community garden. Participate in a plein-air painting session with visiting artists from Canmore, view the latest art exhibition called “Mountain Man,” and much more!
- Where: Fort Calgary – 750 9th Avenue SE
- When: Monday, August 1 from 10 am to 4 pm
- Cost: $12 adult / $5 child (3-6) / $7 youth (7-17) / $11 senior
Long Weekend Island Escape
- What: Take the whole family down to Trout Beach on St. Patrick’s Island for a fun-filled island staycation. There will be music from the gang at BassBus, food trucks, and the EAST Crew will have classic summer games and activities on hand.
- Where: Trout Beach – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Monday, August 1 from 12 to 4 pm
- Cost: Free
Historic Calgary Week 2016
- What: 11 days of walks, talks and tours celebrating the history of Calgary and region. This year the contributions of several partners will be highlighted in learning, including SAIT, the University of Calgary and Calgary Public Library. Click here for the 2016 brochure. All events are open to the public and are free of charge with one exception. Donations are gratefully appreciated.
- Where: All around Calgary
- When: Friday, July 22 to Monday, August 1
Bowness Heritage Day Street Festival
- What: Head on over to Bowness to celebrate community spirit this Heritage Day Monday, at their 5th annual Heritage Day Street Festival. Vendors of all kinds will line the street for this fun festival, which will go on rain or shine!
- Where: Bowness Road NW (Bowness BRZ)
- When: Monday, August 1 from 11 am to 4 pm
- Cost: Free