The end of the work week is here and there is finally some sunshine to enjoy! Here are some awesome events to help kick start your weekend fun.
Cheer on the Calgary Hitmen as they take on the rest of the Western Hockey League. Catch a Friday night game at the dome tonight!
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- When: Friday, October 7 at 7 pm vs Kamloops
The Illuminasia Lantern and Garden Festival returns to the Calgary Zoo for the second year in a row, and this time around there are 145 extra lanterns to dazzle you. The lanterns are seasonal-themed this year, so you’ll be taken on a journey from winter to spring, and they’ll depict culturally significant animals as well as zoo favourites. Relish in the arts of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, and Korean cultures, and check out live music, an art gallery, and garden displays as well.
- Where: Calgary Zoo – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Thursday, September 8 to Sunday, October 16
For the big kids, get taken back to the time of VHS – for the little ones use your imagination as The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra takes you into the land of Frozen, Tangled, Cinderella and more!
- Where: Jack Singer Concert Hall – 205 8 Avenue SE
- When: Friday, October 7 and Saturday, October 8
- Cost: Starting at $20
Wordfest is a 10-day festival which sparks lively, illuminating and meaningful conversations between Calgary’s readers and the world’s most engaging writers. Wordfest’s trademark events include readings, workshops, panel discussions and in-school presentations from authors writing in every genre and for all ages.
- Where: Locations all around Calgary
- When: October 7 to 16
- Cost: Varies – see website for tickets to events
Everything is awesome for The Quin twins in 2016 – they just released their eighth studio album Love You To Death to rave reviews and their fall tour is selling out quickly. Fans can expect the 100-minute show to include new singles “Stop Desire” and “White Knuckles”, both of which were produced by Greg Kurstin of Sia and Adele fame.
- When: Friday, October 7 at 6:30 pm
- Where: BMO Centre – 20 Roundup Way SE
- Tickets: Available online for $38.50. All ages