Yes, the Greatest Outdoor Show in the world is finally here, but for some of us, we’d rather check other events out.
So if you want to ditch the plaid and just go about life as it were a week ago, here are a few things to do today.
- What: Featuring a variety of ethnic street foods, local vendors, buskers, and entertainment, the Calgary Night Market has everything from jewelry to clothes, to household items. The market is happening on the first and last Fridays of the month until September 9. Admission to the Night Market is free.
- When: Friday, July 8 from 4 to 10 pm
- Where: Central Memorial Park – 1221 2nd Street SW
- Event page: facebook.com
- What: To be, or not to be, that is the question… Theatre Calgary is bringing Hamlet outside, as it showcases its annual outdoor performances of Shakespeare by the Bow.
- Where: Prince’s Island Park – 698 Eau Claire Avenue SW
- When: Runs from June 21 to August 21, every day except Mondays; performances at 7 pm, with an extra 2pm matinee on Sundays. On hiatus between July 19 and 24.
- More info: Theatre Calgary’s website
- What: Witness the best show jumping athletes and horses from around the World. Enjoy shopping, pony rides, face painting, wagon rides and much more!
- Where: 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
- When: Wednesday, July 6 to Sunday, July 10
- Cost: Varies
- What: See some of the most trendsetting and common wedding dresses in Alberta from the last 125 years. The exhibition features collections from the Museum of the Highwood, the Red Deer Museum, the Royal Alberta Museum, the Lougheed House Conservation Society, as well as numerous private collections.
- Where: Lougheed House – 707 13th Avenue SW
- When: Now until October 2
- Cost: Regular admission $8.50
Bring out your fascinators and bowties and head to Century Downs Racetrack and Casino to take in a day at the track. Your day is sure to be a win, even if your ticket says the opposite.