FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
Thu, October 1, 12:00am
ARTS & THEATRE, VIRTUAL
Thu, October 1, 5:30pm
Sun, October 11, 12:00pm
Starts at $54.00
A new week and so much more to see and do in Calgary. From fitness classes to get you into shape for summer 2017 to Jay Leno performing in town, there’s something for everyone!
- What: Is running a marathon or just simply getting back into shape one of your new year’s resolutions this year? Tackle this goal once and for all and join the Outsiders Running Club. There is no charge, just bring yourself and your running shoes and join Joanna Magnik of The Sweat Style for a 5-8K run every Tuesday night at 6:30 pm!
- Where: East Village Riverwalk plaza – 618 Confluence Way SE
- When: Every Tuesday
- Cost: FREE
- What: Join the former Tonight Show host, Jay Leno in a show that takes him back to the very beginning of his comedy career. Little do most people know, before his days with NBC, Leno was one of the trailblazing comedy voices of standup comedy during the 70’s and 80’s. Prepare for a night of stomach aching laughs, as Jay Leno reminds us why he started!
- Where: Grey Eagle Event Centre – 3777 Grey Eagle Drive SW
- When: Thursday, May 25
- Cost: $72-$104
- What: Spend an evening transported back to an era of hard rock, emotional guitar solos and hair that reached exponential heights, the good ol’ 80s! This lively musical captures the beauty and innocence of small town love, while integrating the influences of classic Rock and Roll in that era. The music line-up is littered with famous songs by Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Journey, Bon Jovi and more, that will have you to singing and dancing along throughout the show!
- Where: Stage West Calgary – 727 42 Avenue SE
- When: Daily (except Mondays) Until June 25
- Cost: $75
- What: RowBody is the newest addition to the work out selection offered at Movement U and soon to be your new little secret as to where you got those killer washboard abs. As with all programs at the studio, music is the backbone to this heart-pounding, 45-minute cardio workout that focuses on full body strength training and is split between the rower and floor exercises. This workout will target and tone over 80% of the muscles in your body, giving you the results that you have been looking for!
- Where: 16 4 Street NE
- When: Runs at various times throughout the week. Register online or through your MindBody App. See the full schedule here
- Cost: RowBody is included in the price of all of the class packages available at Movement U along with Row, Spin and HIIT.
- Where: Outside the Shape – 1222 10 Avenue SE
- When: May 23
- Cost: $55
- What: Between May 1st and May 14th, receive 20% off when booking two or more classes.
- Where: Ollia Macarons and Tea – 810c 16 Avenue SW
- When: May 23
- Cost: $100 + GST
- Where: The Edge Kitchen at The Shooting Edge – 510 77th Avenue SE
- When: May 27
- Cost: $65
- What: 90’s kids rejoice! The American Indie Rock band, The Shins will be making a stop in Calgary for an unforgettable performance on their International Tour around the world.
- Where: Mac Hall – 250 University Drive NW
- When: May 24
- Cost: $45.50
- What: This March, Calgary Food Tours is bringing back everyone’s favourite, Craving Kensington. On this 3-hour walking-tour, you will eat your way through this inner city village at some of the foodie hotspots, while also learning about the charming history and architecture of the area! Bon appétit!
- Where: Meet at Pulcinella Ristorante – 1147 Kensington Crescent NW
- When: Thursdays
- Cost: $115
- What: 2016 was the year of music here in Calgary, and the music industry in our city is now booming as a result. Spend date night at one of the many venues on YYC’s Music Mile, between Inglewood and East Village, and be entertained by some of our city’s best local talent at a live show, while enjoying a few drinks with your significant other. See the list of venues and performances here!
- Where: Music Mile – between Inglewood and East Village
- Cost: FREE
- What: In honour of Canada’s 150th Birthday, the Calgary Marathon is hosting a fun birthday bash! In true Canadian style, fuel up with maple syrup waffles. Then be sure to grab a race-day shirt, as they have partnered up with David Crighton, a Canadia artist, to bring to you commemorative birthday t-shirts and Toonie finisher medals. Come celebrate our nation’s birthday and enjoy a day of festivities, while raising money for a good cause and making new records in your personal running score.
- Where: All race day activities will start and finish in Stampede Park – 1410 Olympic Way SE
- When: May 25 – 28
- Cost: $90-$120
- What: Prophecies, ambition, murder, madness. The Shakespeare Company brings Macbeth to Calgary.
- Where: Studio at Vertigo Theatre – 115 9th Avenue SE
- When: Now until May 27 – evenings at 7 pm, 2:30 pm matinees on May 20, 21, 27
- What: Calling all Trekkies! Having opened on February 4, Star Trek: The Starfleet Academy Experience will be at TELUS Spark until June 4, 2017. Upon entering the exhibit, you’ll become a Starfleet Academy cadet recruit.
- Where: TELUS Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: Now until June 4, 2017
- Cost: Adults $29.95
- What: Educate and inspire your children at this 3-day festival that encourages creative expression and stresses the importance of arts exposure for young minds. Through multiple shows and activities happening throughout the festival, Kidfest aims at “developing creative thinkers conscious of the world and their place in it.” See the full lineup of artists here!
- Where: Various locations between Olympic Plaza and the Arts Commons
- When: May 24-27
- Cost: $17
- What: If you live and breathe fashion, then this event will be something you can’t miss! CANIFF is aimed at putting Canada on the fashion map, while bringing fashion film to Calgary in order to develop the fashion industry here in the west. The event will feature films from some of the most creative international talents, while being judged by many notable, international fashion figures from around the world.
- Where: Various Locations
- When: May 26-28
- Cost: $20-$150
- What: PARKSHOW is an immersive cultural experience that brings together the best of Canada’s emerging fashion designers, rising artists, musical performers and culinary talents. There will be two night’s worth of fashion shows, both featuring different must-see designers, along with a market supporting local Canadian brands and makers, happening before, during and after the shows!
- Where: The Yellow Warehouse – 1390 17 Avenue SE
- When: May 26-28
- Cost: $50-$275
- What: During this 3-day festival, learn from exceptional yoga practitioners, while practicing meditation and mindfulness in the midst of Alberta’s Rocky Mountains. Through yoga classes, hiking, canoeing, cultural and social interactions and woodland adventures, you’ll leave the weekend feeling relaxed, refreshed and renewed!
- Where: Fenlands Recreational Centre – 100 Mount Norquay Road
- When: May 26 to 28
- Cost: $78 and up
- What: If you missed the Spring Frenzy, then you definitely can’t miss YYC Food Trucks second event of the season. There will be 15+ food trucks, live music and a ton of other mouth-watering activities for the whole family to enjoy. Cross your fingers for no rain!
- Where: Bridgeland Murdock Park – 9 Street NE & Centre Avenue NE
- When: May 27 and 28
- Cost: $5 – free for kids under 14
- What: Cineplex Family Favourites are the perfect day to take your little one or your big ones to the movies on the cheap. Watch a family favourite film each week for only $2.99. A portion of the proceeds goes towards supporting Free The Children with this week’s movie being ‘Storks.’
- Where: Participating Cineplex theatres
- When: Saturday, May 27 at 11am
- Cost: $2.99
- What: Back for it’s third year, the Calgary Sneaker Swap will be held on Saturday, May 27 at the the Calgary Chinese Cultural Center in Eau Claire.Last year over 600 people showed up to make it a great event, buying, selling, and talking shoes. The unique part about this event is the trading aspect. Attendees are allowed to bring sneakers to sell and trade while walking around the event.
- Where: Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre – 197 First Street SW
- When: Saturday, May 27 from 12 to 5pm
- Cost: $10
- What: Get all fancied up for the 5th annual Splash of Red gala that supports the HIV Community Link. At this event you can expect dancing, music and lively entertainment, while they work to raise awareness around the issues surrounding HIV and raise money to provide critical funds for their prevention, education and support programs across southeastern Alberta.
- Where: Fairmont Palliser – 133 9 Avenue SW
- When: May 27
- Cost: $100
- What: It’s the Canadian premiere of the biggest German film of 2016. The film is a tragicomedy about two terminally ill young men embarking on one last adventure. The film is in German with English subtitles and recommended for everyone ages 12 and over, and is free to attend.
- When: May 27 from 7 to 9pm
- Where: John Dutton Theatre (Calgary Public Library) – 616 Macleod Trail SE
- Cost: Free
- What: Now that the snow is gone, it’s about time to get working on that bikini bod for summer! Join the CORE in Downtown Calgary, every Sunday of the month for a free high intensity group hit workout class and have some fun with your weekend sweat.
- When: Every Sunday in May
- Where: COREshopping – 317 7 Avenue SW
- Cost: Free