15 things to do in Calgary this week: June 6 to 12
Jun 6 2016, 11:27 pm
Looking for something to do this week? Here are some of the top events to check out in Calgary between June 6 and 12
For a complete list of events, check out our Calgary events calendar.
Negroni Week 2016
- What: Started in 2013, Negroni Week has expanded in participation over the years, and in 2015 raised $321,000, nearly tripling the amount raised the previous year.
- Where: Participating venues
- When: Monday, June 6 to Sunday, June 12
FunnyFest Calgary Comedy Festival
- What: Offering 11 days and nights of comedy and 70 performers, FunnyFest does it all from high-brow to low-brow and everything in between. Each show runs one-and-a-half to two hours long with a minimum of six performers per show.
- When: Now until Sunday, June 12, 2016
- Where: Various locations. Click here for more.
- Cost: Varies – Free to $25
New Universe at the DJD Dance Centre
- What: Dancers at Calgary’s new DJD (Decidedly Jazz Danceworks) Dance Centre are celebrating its grand opening with a new live music and dance production. The new show will showcase the whole DJD company of dancers and feature a score by New York jazz great William Parker, as well as a five-piece band led by Parker himself.
- Where: DJD Dance Centre – 111 12th Avenue SE
- When: Now until Sunday, June 12, evening performances at 8 pm,
Sunday matinees at 2 pm
- Cost: Tickets available at online or call 403-245-3533, starting at $29
Farmers Market on Stephen Avenue
- What: Fresh produce and local vendors right outside your office. Every second Tuesday of the month, over 40 vendors will setup shop for the farmers market coming to Stephen Avenue in downtown Calgary.
- Where: On 8th Avenue between 1st Street SE and 1st Street SW
- When: June 7 from 10 am to 3 pm
Something Old, Something New: 125 Years of Wedding Fashion
- What: See some of the most trendsetting and common wedding dresses in Alberta from the last 125 years. The exhibition features collections from the Museum of the Highwood, the Red Deer Museum, the Royal Alberta Museum, the Lougheed House Conservation Society, as well as numerous private collections.
- Where: Lougheed House – 707 13th Avenue SW
- When: June 8 to October 2
- Cost: Regular admission $8.50
Spruce Meadows National
- What: Witness the best show jumping athletes and horses from around the World. Enjoy shopping, pony rides, face painting, wagon rides and much more!
- Where: 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
- When: June 8 to 12
- Cost: Varies
Adults Only Night: Eat, Drink and Do Science
- What: Get hands-on with food science and discover that the kitchen and the lab are not as different as they seem. Enjoy free reign in the galleries, a fully licensed bar, and tunes all night long.
- Where: TELUS Spark – 220 St Georges Drive NE
- When: Thursday, June 9 from 6 to 10 pm
- Cost: $19.95
Free Rafting info Night
- What: The Outdoor Center is offering a free info session to help promote and educate people about river safety. Learn about the gear, river hazards, and the best put-in and take-out points in and around the city.
- Where: Calgary Outdoor Centre: University of Calgary – Kinesiology B180, 2500 University Drive NW
- When: Thursday, June 9 from 7 to 8:30 pm
Inglewood Night Market
- What: The night market will feature a great mix of vendors including skilled artisans, fine artists, urban and rural farmers, and food trucks. Around 60 vendors are confirmed with dancing in the street and a beer and wine patio at Cafe Gravity.
- Where: 9 Avenue and 10 Street SE, Inglewood
- When: Friday, June 10 from 5 to 11 pm
- Cost: Entrance is free
Suncor Stage One Festival
- What: Nine scripts were selected for this year’s festival out of 100 which were submitted. Through the Suncor Stage One Festival, Lunchbox Theatre has become Canada’s leading development source and producer of one-act plays. At the end of each season, Lunchbox Theatre holds a series of staged readings of new works and invites audience members to give feedback during a discussion period.
- Where: Lunchbox Theatre – 160 9th Avenue SE
- When: June 10 to 25
- Cost: Free
Baby Animal Festival
- What: For one day, visitors can get hands on with all of the baby barnyard animals, including miniature horses, donkeys, lambs, goats, rabbits, piglets, ducklings, chicks, calves, and kittens.
- Where: Calgary Corn Maze & Fun Farm – 284022 Township Road 224
- When: Saturday, June 10 at 10 am
- Cost: $13.50 (Adults), $12.50 (children and seniors)
Okotoks Dawgs Games
- What: See the Western Major Baseball League Okotoks Dawgs first game of the season on Friday June 3. The Dawgs are playing a total of 15 games in June.
- Where: Seaman Stadium – 2111 N Railway Street, Okotoks
- Friday June 10, at 7:05 pm vs Edmonton Prospects
- Saturday, June 11 at 7:05 pm vs Edmonton Prospects
Calgary Run for Water
- What: It’s running season in YYC and in Calgary’s Run for Water you can choose between a 10K run and a 5K walk/jog/run. Proceeds fundraised will go towards clean water programs in Sasiga, Ethiopia.
- Where: Start and finish at Confluence Plaza on St. Patrick’s Island – 1300 Zoo Road NE
- When: Saturday, June 11 at 10:30 am
- Cost: Varies for different runs
Calgary Relay For Life
- Where: Calgary Rotary Challenger Park – 3688 48th Avenue NE
- When: Saturday, June 11 from 6 pm to midnight
- Register: convio.cancer.ca
Lukes Drug Mart Sled Island Pre-Party
- What: Don’t miss the 4th annual awesome, free, outdoor, all-ages party on June 12. Performing artists are: Chad VanGaalen, Sled Island 2011 alumni Hooded Fang, experimental pop band We Are The City and emotionally heavy act We Knew.
- Where: Lukes Drug Mart – 112 4th Street NE
- When: Sunday, June 12 at noon
- Cost: Free