19 things to do in Calgary this week: December 12 to 18
Dec 13 2016, 11:32 am
Yes it’s cold, but no that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to do around town to cheer you up. So make the most this week at one of these events happening around Calgary!
- 67 things to do in Calgary this December
- 14 Calgary Christmas markets to get you into the festive spirit
- 2016 Holiday Gift Guide: 9 perfect presents for Calgary foodies
Go skating outdoors
- What: Now that winter seems to have finally settled in for the long haul, it’s time for the winter activities to commence. Grab a few friends, some hot chocolate and bundle up in your warmest, yet stylish winter attire and go skating on one of Calgary’s many outdoor rinks that are well maintained by either the city or volunteers within the community. Don’t own a pair of skates? Rent a pair at your nearest outdoor center or at specific rinks around the city – see website more for details!
- Where: Various rinks throughout Calgary
- Cost: FREE
Half Moon Run
- What: Not only are you in for a great show from this talented Canadian indie rock band, but you will also be supporting a good cause. They have teamed up with Plus 1 and as a result, $1 from your ticket will be donated to the Native Youth Sexual Network.
- Where: MacEwan Hall – 2500 University Drive NW
- When: Tuesday, December 13
- Cost: $33.50 – All Ages
- What: Ski Mt. Norquay for only $2 on December 14th – yes that is less than a cup of coffee! If you thought this deal couldn’t get any better, then think again. Not only do you Ski for $2, but your money is also donated to a local charity at the end of the season. Help them beat their $20,000 total from last year!
- Where: Mt. Norquay – 1520 Banff, AB
- When: Wednesday, December 14
- Cost: $2
Adults Only Night: Energy Series
- What: Be sure to not let this Adults Only Night slip away. Join Telus Spark for an evening that appreciates and celebrates all things ice – it’s more important than you may think!
- Where: Telus Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: Thursday, December 15
- Cost: Included in regular admission to the Telus Spark Centre
The Funk Hunters Present Funk The Halls
- What: The Funk Hunters are putting the soul back into electronic and dance music in this unique performance, featuring a technical display of creative collaboration between 4 turntables. This DJ duo has successfully played for international audiences at Burning Man, Wakarusa and Shambhala – so they will not disappoint!
- Where: Flames Central – 219 8th Avenue SW
- When: Friday December 16
- Cost: $35, ages 18 and up
- What: This Calgarian holiday tradition continues to live on year after year! Stay warm by dressing in layers and consuming delicious hot chocolate, as you roam through the 200 beautiful light displays, such as the all time favourite, ‘lovers lane’, and other unique light shows set up throughout the Calgary Zoo.
- Where: The Calgary Zoo – 210 St. George’s Drive NE
- When: Now until January 8 nightly from 6 to 9 pm
- Cost: $14.99 Adults, $11.99 Kids
It’s a Wonderful Life
- What: This Christmas classic is celebrating it’s 75 th year of spreading holiday joy on the silver screens! Allow the compassion and kindness that George Bailey embodies and the love he has for his family and the Bedford Falls community, to enter your hearts this Christmas season as you experience this live rendition of this wonderful holiday favourite.
- Where: Pumphouse Theatre – 2140 Pumphouse Avenue SE
- When: Now until to December 17
- Cost: $20-$25
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast
- What: Children of all ages will fall in love with this magical rendition of the original Disney Classic, Beauty and the Beast. Warm your heart with the beloved soundtrack of this holiday musical including everyone’s favourite, Be our Guest!
- Where: StoryBook Theatre – 375 Bermuda Drive NW
- When: Now until December 23
- Cost: Child (3-17) $20, Adult (18+) $25
Cheer on the Flames at a game
- What: Cheer on the Flames this holiday season in their 8 home games at the dome this month.
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SW
- Wednesday December 14 at 7:30pm vs. Tampa Bay
- Friday December 16 at 7pm vs. Columbus
Visit the Calgary Farmers Market while it’s open 9 days straight
- What: Get to the Calgary Farmers Market and do your holiday shopping before it closes between December 24 and January 4. The market will re-open and resume regular hours on January, 5th 2017.
- When: December 15 to 23
- Where: Calgary Farmers Market – 510 77th Avenue SE
- What: Transport into the magical Kingdom of Sweets with Clara and her Nutcracker Prince in this authentic Russian Ballet, proudly performed in collaboration with the Alberta Ballet and the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra. Watch as the stage comes alive in the famous Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy and the battles they undergo with the mischievous army of life size mice. It’s a holiday performance you won’t want to miss!
- Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium – 1415 14th Avenue NW
- When: December 16 to 24 – Weekdays at 7pm,
Saturday and Sunday at 1pm & 6pm
- Cost: Varies
French Wine & Macarons Tasting
- What: Wine and macarons is a combination you can’t go wrong with! Take a trip to France for an evening and enjoy tasting 4 French wine’s, unique to their regions, paired with tasty traditional French macarons and become and expert at wine and food pairing.
- Where: By Ollia – 810C 16th Avenue SW
- When: December 9 and 16 – limited spots available
- Cost: $40
Xmas in Inglewood
- What: Live music, hot drinks, and special offers at local boutiques combine for a fun night out shopping with friends.
- When: December 3, 10, and 17
- Where: Inglewood
- Cost: Free
Christmas in Kensington
- What: Enjoy a complimentary hot chocolate and coffee as you roam the streets of Kensington enjoying local holiday shopping, Christmas carolers, horse and wagon rides, selfies with jolly old Saint Nick and more. There is something for everyone in the family to enjoy!
- When: Every Saturday until December 24
- Where: Kensington
- Cost: FREE
Kensington Movie Series
- What: Every Saturday until Christmas enjoy 4 of your favourite Christmas classics up on the silver screen. The best part – it’s FREE! Start the series off with an old time favourite, ‘Miracle on 34th Street,’ hang out with Buddy the elf in ‘Elf”, feel all the feels in the romantic drama ‘The Holiday’ and go on an adventure with Kevin McCallister in ‘Home Alone’
- When: Every Saturday between December 3 and December 24
- Where: Plaza Theatre – 1133 Kensington Road NW
- Cost: FREE
A Heritage Christmas
- What: Always wondered why we hang stockings? Or what is so special about trimming the tree? Learn about old-fashioned Christmas traditions and what a classic Christmas on the prairies used to look like at the turn of the century at this exhibition held at the Okotoks Art Gallery, throughout the month of December.
- Where: Okotoks Art Gallery – 53 North Railway Street
- When: Now until December 23
- Cost: FREE
Market Collective Cheer
- What: Local artists create a marketplace selling art, photography, clothing, glasswork, woodwork, and more
- When: December 9 to 11, and 16 to 18 (various times, check website for details)
- Where: Chinese Cultural Centre – 197 1st Street SW
- Cost: Free
The Polar Express Train Ride 2016
- What: Hop aboard the magical Polar Express and head to the North Pole to see Santa! You will receive hot chocolate and cookies on your journey along with caroling and holiday entertainment. Following the protocol in the movie guests are encouraged to wear their PJ’s and each child will receive a sleigh bell from Santa – to those who believe!
- Where: Aspen Crossing – Highway #24 Mossleigh
- When: November 25 until Christmas Eve
- Cost: Economy Seating $57, First Class Seating $65, Coach Class Seating $75, Dome Class Seating $75
A Christmas Carol
- What: Relive this iconic Christmas favourite by Charles Dickens in Theatre Calgary’s 30th anniversary of the production. Laugh, cry and feel the joy as you follow alongside Ebenezer Scrooge, played by Stephen Hair, on his unique journey to discover the holiday spirit and the true meaning of Christmas. Bah humbug!
- Where: Theatre Calgary – 220 9th Avenue SE
- When: Now until December 24
- Cost: $34-$130