Looking for something to do this week? Well you’re in luck! Choose from a fireworks competition, Ribfest, The Plunge and more!
Here are some of the top events to check out in Calgary between August 22 to 28
- What: A spoof on the hugely popular movie released in 1990. This telling the romantic tale will have some new twists and turns and, of course, laughter. Set to music from the late 80`s and early 90`s sure to bring back a memory or two. Hey, Pretty Woman! is a romantic comedy about how the most unlikely of matches can wind up falling in love… but no one ever said it would easy!
- Where: Jubilations Dinner Theatre – Westbrook Mall, 1002 37 Street SW
- When: July 1 to September 4
- Cost: From $67.95 (includes dinner)
Calgary’s annual fireworks festival is back. The event, which runs from August 15 to 27, will include several pyromusical shows, as well as cultural music, a human rights forum, a night market and even a citizenship ceremony.
- Where: Elliston Park in East Calgary (main gate at the corner of 17th [International] Avenue and 60th Street SE).
- When: August 15 to 27 from 6 to 11:30 p.m. every night.
No entry after 9:15 p.m.
- Tickets: Available at online or at Calgary Co-op Customer Service Offices and Marlborough Mall.
- What: A Pop-Up Picnic is a lunch hour (Noon to 1pm) event hosted by Downtown Calgary in various locations around the downtown core. They’ll provide the tables, chairs, entertainment and all you have to do is bring your lunch and some friends. Each picnic will have a unique theme – this week’s being ‘Green Fools’ and will be held at a different location each week.
- Where: John J Bowlen Green Space – 620 7th Avenue SW
- When: Wednesday, August 24 from 12 to 1 pm
- Cost: Free
- What: Walk among the towers of Downtown along Stephen Avenue and beyond and look at the history of Downtown Calgary through the buildings. Talk about the history of the buildings, look at some of their characteristics, and talk about the people associated with them. Some stops will include geeky moments or party facts which are unknown stories or facts related to certain stops. The tour will return to the Calgary Tower.
- Where: Calgary Tower – 101 9th Avenue SW
- When: Wednesday, August 24 from 12 to 2 pm
- Cost: $15
- What: Visit Bridgeland Riverside Farmers’ Market every Thursday during the summer! Enjoy eating at local vendor stations, dance to live music and shop until you drop. For the kiddos, there are free activities set up.
- Where: Bridgeland Riverside Farmers’ Market – 917 Centre Avenue NE
- When: Thursday, August 25 from 3:30 to 7:30 pm
- What: Toronto’s MSTRKRFT made a name for themselves by remixing tracks for stars like Katy Perry and Kylie Minogue, but its their original material that have won them fans across North America.
- When: Thursday, August 25 at 10 pm
- Where: Marquee Beer Market & Stage – 4630 Macleod Trail S
- Tickets: Available online for $25. 18+
- What: Stay up late with Milky Way Nights at the Rothney Astrophysical Observatory, open to the public between August 25 to 27.
- Where: Rothney Astrophysical Observatory – Priddis, AB
- When: August 25 to 27
- Information: Call 403-931-2366
- What: Get your sticky on at the 1st Annual Calgary Ribfest. From August 25 to 28 experience four awesome days of grilling heaven. Ribs, BBQ chicken, and pulled pork will be headlining the festival, available from six different vendors. There will also be live music, craft beer, wine pairings, and a pulled pork eating contest. Booths for foodie and BBQ demonstrations will also be in site.
- When: August 25 to 28 (check website for times)
- Where: Eau Claire Market – 200 Barclay Parade SW
- Price: Free admission / Food tickets extra
- What: Featuring a variety of ethnic street foods, local vendors, buskers, and entertainment, the Calgary Night Market has everything from jewelry to clothes, to household items. The market is happening on the first and last Fridays of the month until September 9. Admission to the Night Market is free.
- When: Friday, August 26 from 4 to 10 pm
- Where: Central Memorial Park – 1221 2nd Street SW
- Event page: facebook.com
Visit a Farmers’ Market
Popular among chefs, home cooks, and local gastronomes, farmers’ markets have become an integral part of Calgary’s food landscape. Not only do these community events grant local farmers, growers, and bakers the opportunity to connect with urban folk but they also provide them with a space to show off their seasonal favourites. Here’s a quick list of a few.
- Calgary Farmers’ Market
- Crossroads Market
- Symons Valley Ranch
- DJ Market
- Hillhurst Sunnyside Farmers’ Market
- Marda Loop Farmers’ Market
- What: Grab your yoga mat and head downtown to for an hour of pool side yoga Saturday and Sunday mornings throughout the summer. Click here to register online for the class.
- Where: Hotel Arts – 119 12th Avenue SW
- When: Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28 at 9am (arrive at 8:45 am)
- Cost: $15
- What: The waterslide in Canada Olympic Park is open for the last time this summer on Saturday and Sunday. The slide is open from 10 am to 5 pm on both days, but it’s best to get there early – peak time is between 1 and 4 pm. Tickets for one, three or five rides are available online, starting at $15
- Where: Canada Olympic Park – 88 Canada Olympic Road SW
- When: Saturday, August 27 and Sunday, August 28, from 10 am to 5 pm
- Tickets: Online, $15-$80.71
- What: Every Saturday in August at 9 pm experience Kensington’s Summertime outdoor movie series. This Saturday, Ghostbusters will be the feature film.
- Where: Calgary Parking Authority Lot 57 – 1210 Kensington Road NW
- When: Saturday, August 27 from 9 pm to 12:30 am
- Info: On Facebook
- What: Former Disney stars Nick Jonas and Demi Lovato share a fanbase so it only makes sense for them to share a tour as well. The pair will mostly perform their grown-up hits solo but will join forces on stage for Jonas’ “Close” and Lovato’s “Stone Cold”. Mike Posner, who scored one of the biggest songs of the summer with “I Took A Pill In Ibiza”, will open for the dynamic duo.
- When: Saturday, August 27 at 7 pm
- Where: Scotiabank Saddledome – 555 Saddledome Rise SE
- Tickets: Available online from $29.95 to $99.95. All ages
- What: Neo-soul indie group Fitz & the Tantrums are celebrating the release of their self-titled album with their Get Right Back Summer Tour. Expect the band, a staple on the festival circuit, to perform new material like “Run It’ and “HandClap”, which hit number 5 on Billboard’s Alternative Songs chart.
- When: Saturday, August 27 at 7 pm
- Where: MacEwan Hall – 2500 University Drive NW
- Tickets: Available online for $39.50.
- What: Watch as our CFL pride and joy take on their rivals this summer. Sunday game, so get your tickets soon.
- Where: McMahon Stadium – 1817 Crowchild Trail NW
- When: Sunday, August 28 at 5 pm vs Hamilton Tiger Cats
- Best places to eat outside in Calgary this summer
- Rooftop Bar @ Simmons: Food, drinks, and an amazing view
If you’ll be in Banff during the week:
- What: Every Thursday night in downtown Banff for 14 weeks, two identical shows per night will be shown featuring four unique film programs rotating each week.
- Where: Lux Cinema – 229 Bear Street, Banff
- When: Thursday, June 16 to Thursday, September 8. Shows at 7 and 9:30 pm
- Cost: $12 can puchase online