17 things to do in Calgary this Labour Day long weekend: September 2 to 5
Sep 3 2016, 2:16 am
Lots of fun things happening around town with the Pride Parade, BBQ on the Bow, Labour Day Classic and much more!
Get out and do something, with our list of things to do this weekend.
- What: Eat, breathe and dance in the Filipino Culture at this years Fiesta Filipino. The giant plaza street party is open for all ages to enjoy.
- Where: Olympic Plaza – 228 8th Avenue SE
- When: September 2 and 3
- Cost: Free
Shaw Charity Classic
- What: The annual Shaw Charity Golf tournament is back in Calgary. Don’t miss this PGA Champions golf championship where you can see great golf and some of your favourite pro golfers. Your family will enjoy a KidZone with petting zoo, arts & crafts, modified golf activities, Junior Clinic (Sept. 2 | 3:30 pm), a meet and greet with Harvey the Hound, and much more! Juniors 17 and under are admitted free when accompanied by a ticketed adult.
- When: Friday, September 2 to Sunday, September 4 from 9:30 am – 4 pm
- Where: Canyon Meadows Golf & Country Club – 12501 14th Street SW
The Wizard of Oz: Sing-A-Long
- What: Come together for a sing-a-long to one of the most iconic (and gay) films of all time: The Wizard of Oz. Participation is encouraged, as is dressing up as your favourite character from the film.
- Where: The Plaza Theatre – 1133 Kensington Road NW
- When: Friday, September 2; 7 to 10 pm
Hey, Pretty Woman!
- What: A spoof on the hugely popular movie released in 1990. This telling the romantic tale will have some new twists and turns and, of course, laughter. Set to music from the late 80`s and early 90`s sure to bring back a memory or two. Hey, Pretty Woman! is a romantic comedy about how the most unlikely of matches can wind up falling in love… but no one ever said it would easy!
- Where: Jubilations Dinner Theatre – Westbrook Mall, 1002 37 Street SW
- When: July 1 to September 4
- Cost: From $67.95 (includes dinner)
Poolside yoga on at Hotel Arts
- What: Grab your yoga mat and head downtown to for an hour of pool side yoga Saturday and Sunday mornings throughout the summer. Click here to register online for the class.
- Where: Hotel Arts – 119 12th Avenue SW
- When: Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 21 at 9am (arrive at 8:45 am)
- Cost: $15
BBQ on the Bow
- What: The 24th annual BBQ on the Bow festival (the city’s oldest BBQ competition) will take place this September at the Montgomery Community Centre, and will see meat lovers from across the city gather to enjoy all things BBQ. Teams will compete over two days showing off their cooking skills on everything from Weber bullets to fancy rigs and trailers with expensive smokers built right on them.
- When: September 3 to 4
- Where: Montgomery Community Centre – 5003 16th Avenue NW
- Price: Free admission
- For those about to rock, X Fest salutes you. Celebrate Labour Day weekend with a stellar lineup that includes Twenty One Pilots, The Lumineers, Halsey, and Canadian rockers Arkells. And for the low-low price of $5,000, fans can buy a VIP Cabana that includes 10 VIP weekend passes, a dedicated serving staff and, best of all, private bathrooms.
- When: Saturday, September 3 and Sunday, September 4
- Where: Fort Calgary – 750 9th Avenue SE
- Tickets: Single day passes start at $89.50.
Inglewood Ghost Tour
- What: Walk among the historic buildings and streets of Inglewood. Hear about stories from the Glen Bow Museum and Ft. Calgary archives, newspapers, assorted ghost story books and personal accounts & interviews. Your guide will be dressed in a black cape and carrying a lantern so they will stand out a bit. They will also be at the start of the tour at approximately 5 to 10 minutes before the tour begins.
- Where: Outside of Rosso’s – Corner of 14 Street and 9th Avenue SE
- When: Saturday, September 3 at 8 pm
- Cost: $15
Kensington Summertime Outdoor Movies
- What: Every Saturday in August at 9 pm experience Kensington’s Summertime outdoor movie series. This Saturday, Breakfast Club will be the feature film.
- Where: Calgary Parking Authority Lot 57 – 1210 Kensington Road NW
- When: Saturday, Septmber 3 from 9 pm to 12:30 am
- Info: On Facebook
Calgary Pride Parade
- What: The main event, Calgary’s Pride Parade sees upwards of 60,000 spectators line the streets to see 125 entries from community groups, corporations, politicians and public services bring the party to downtown. This year’s parade will be led by award winning writer, musician and filmmaker Rae Spoon.
- Where: 9th Avenue, Calgary
- When: Sunday September 4 from 12 to 1:30 pm
Pride in the Park
- What: One of Calgary’s largest free outdoor cultural celebrations that immediately follows the Pride Parade. Enjoy a family zone, a cold beer or refreshing cocktail or browse the marketplace.
- Where: Shaw Millennium Park – 1220 9th Avenue SW
- When: Sunday, September 4; 12:30 to 6 pm
- What: Calling all dim sum lovers: Mark your calendars for the first ever pop-up dim sum extravaganza headed to Calgary this September. The event will run over three non-consecutive days (September 4, 11, and 18). Each day will have its own theme. Enter The Dumpling will take place on September 4 (there are no more reservations available for this event, however, walk-ins welcome), Crouching Gai Lan Hidden Wonton will take place on September 11, and Ginger Beef in the Bronx will take place on September 18.
- When: September 4, 11, and 18 (for times please check website)
- Where: Commonwealth Bar & Stage – 731 10th Avenue SW
- Tickets: Limited reservations are available by signing up to SUM SUM’s newsletter via their website
Rocky Horror Picture Show Screening
- What: Calgary Underground Film Festival has partnered with Fairy Tales and Hole in the Wall Studios for another edition of their unique presentation of The Rocky Horror Picture Show during Pride Week. Live pre-show featuring performances by Phil and Fake Mustache Costumes and full audience participation encouraged.
- Where: Globe Cinema – 617 8th Avenue SW
- When: Sunday, September 4; 10:30 pm to 2 am
Something Old, Something New: 125 Years of Wedding Fashion
- What: See some of the most trendsetting and common wedding dresses in Alberta from the last 125 years. The exhibition features collections from the Museum of the Highwood, the Red Deer Museum, the Royal Alberta Museum, the Lougheed House Conservation Society, as well as numerous private collections.
- Where: Lougheed House – 707 13th Avenue SW
- When: Now until October 2
- Cost: Regular admission $8.50
Much Music Video Dance Party
- What: National on 8th is throwing it back this Labour Day long weekend. Listen to all of your favourite 90’s music vids on a HUGE 45’x15′ screen, just like you did in high school and party like it is 1999 with the official Much Music Video Dance Party.
- Where: National on 8th –
- When: Sunday, August 4
Calgary Stampeders Games
- What: Watch as our CFL pride and joy take on their rivals this summer in the Labour Day Classic.
- Where: McMahon Stadium – 1817 Crowchild Trail NW
- When: Monday, September 5 at 1 pm vs Edmonton Eskimos
If you’ll be in Banff this weekend:
Banff International String Quartet Competition
- What: Experience a week of exceptional music-making in the Canadian Rockies as ten of the world’s best emerging string quartets vie for over $150,000 in cash and the title of first prize laureate.
- Where: The Banff Centre – 107 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Banff
- When: August 29 to September 4