FEATURED EVENTS IN YOUR CITY
It keeps getting better!
We hope you’re ready for an inspirational and informative day because eight more speakers have been announced for TEDxCalgary’s ‘Navigators’ event.
The event will take place from 9 am to 5 pm at the University of Calgary’s Rozsa Centre, and tickets are still available.
- Everything coming to Netflix Canada in November
- New ship, same route: Titanic II to deliver an 'authentic Titanic experience'
- You can fly from Calgary to Vancouver for $135 roundtrip next summer
The navigators will lead the way through an eventful day of thought-provoking insights and stunning performances, while attendees will also have access to the participant engagement zone where they can discuss the ideas presented with other attendees.
The eight newly announced speakers include:
- Briana Brownell, a data scientist turned tech entrepreneur, futurist, and expert in artificial intelligence.
- Harvard’s Professor Ali Asani, who explores how religion and the arts intersect from a cultural perspective.
- Principal of Kainai High School Ramona Big Head, who is examining the correlation between arts education and identity in Kainai youth.
- Charlton Weasel Head, who also works at the Kainai High School as the Associate Principal.
- Dr. Jessalynn Keller, who is an expert in girls’ media cultures, contemporary digital feminisms, and mediated celebrity culture.
- Dr. Marie-Claire Shanahan, who works to ensure access to scientific knowledge and expertise for all.
- Dr. Pratim Sengupta, who has been designing technologies in public spaces and public schools and will be co-presenting with Dr. Shanahan.
- Entrepreneur Shaffina Mohamed, the currently lead for the Ismaili community engagement with the Aga Khan Garden.
“Navigators is a showcase for ideas that will help shape our future,” said Rahim Sajan, Curator and Co-Founder of TEDxCalgary, in a press release.
“Our speakers exemplify the type of deep thinking we need to have on these big opportunities and problems, and they’re being challenged to help us navigate forward into an increasingly volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous world.”
These eight additional speakers will join these previously-announced guests:
- Journalist Zain Verjee, who has worked as an anchor for CNN.
- Expedition leader Tristan Gooley, who has navigated five continents by following natural elements.
- Cardiac surgeon Dr. Paul Fedak, who has pioneered new surgical techniques.
- Royal Society of Canada Fellow Dr. Shadia Drury, who explores the history of western thought and philosophy.
- University of Ontario professor Dr. Barbara Perry, who has researched hate crime in Canada.
- Political-strategist Stephen Carter, who helped in Mayor Naheed Nenshi’s rise.
- One of Canada’s most influential lawyers, Alice Wooley, who will present on the work she has done regarding legal ethics and lawyer regulations.
The entire event will be in for a musical treat from Notas de 4, a fusion of Flamenco, Latin American, and Canadian jazz music.
Tickets run for $55 to $75 and include lunch and refreshments. They can be found at TEDxCalgary’s website.
When: Saturday, November 3, 2018
Time: 9 am to 5 pm
Where: Rozsa Centre, University of Calgary — 206 University Court NW
Tickets: Available online, $55 to $75
Daily Hive is a proud media sponsor of TEDxCalgary