Pink Shirt Day is February 24, Calgary! Grab your pink shirt and take a stand against bullying.
Pink Shirt Day is in its eighth year running, with this year’s T-shirt proclaiming, “Kindness is one size fits all.”
“This year on Pink Shirt Day, we focus on kindness and how our treatment toward one another creates a more generous and thoughtful world,” said Cheryl Doherty, Chief Executive Officer at Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary in a press release.
“Bullying is real and impacts the self-esteem and mental health of every victim. Pink Shirt Day is a chance to encourage everyone to celebrate and respect our differences. We each play a role in creating a thoughtful community and it’s up to each of us to break the cycle of bullying.”
Studies have shown that bullying occurs once every seven minutes on the playground and once every 25 minutes in the classroom. By generating awareness through campaigns like Pink Shirt Day, Calgarians continue to take a powerful stand against bullying.
You can buy this year’s official Pink Day T-shirt at London Drugs, where proceeds support the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary, and help create a sea of pink.
Here are 7 ways to participate in Pink Shirt Day on February 24:
- Purchasing an official Pink Shirt Day T-shirt
- Challenge your friends and co-workers to show off their pink style with a Pink Shirt Day fashion show. Prizes for best dressed.
- Get creative with your kids by breaking out the craft supplies and let them decorate their T-shirt.
- Host a “Pink Event” (assembly, classroom event, or anti-bullying rally) at your school or place of work. Offer students or employees incentives to wear pink.
- Host a pink potluck with pink food and beverages
- Calgary youth, ages 12-24, are invited to attend and participate in Pink Shirt Day activities at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Calgary’s Beltline Youth Centre (223 – 12 Ave SW) starting at 3:30 p.m. where they will host a kindness battle, photo booth with pink props, a lip sync showcase, and more.
- Show your support on social media by sharing photos or making an anti-bullying pledge using the hashtag #PinkShirtDay and #PinkItForward.