When the weather outside is frightful, all of the holiday treats make life more delightful.
It’s the season to sip hot chocolate and bite into the gingerbread, cinnamon spiced, and eggnog-flavoured treats. Prepare yourself for the most wonderful time of year.
- Calgary winter farmers' market guide 2017/2018
- 9 most satisfying comfort foods you can find in Calgary right now
- 2017 Holiday Wine Guide: What to bring, serve, and gift
- 8 best dinners to take-out on a cold day in Calgary
Here are 13 holiday treats you have to try in Calgary.
1. Christmas logs from Yann Haute Patisserie
Choose from five festive log flavours including black forest, chocolate brownie, tropical macaron, raspberry mirror, or the decadently layered success Paris-Brest made with praline.
Address: 329 23rd Avenue SW
2. Hot chocolate from REGRUB
Crowned with a dessert meal with toppings like glazed donuts, Toblerone chocolate, cookies and all of the caramel drizzle, this beverage will put your stretchy pants to the test.
Address: 625 11th Avenue SW
3. Orange blossom and spiced apple danish from Sidewalk Citizen
The warmth of the spiced apple flavours with a touch of orange on this flaky masterpiece pairs best with a cold day.
Locations: Kensington, 338 10 Street NW; East Village Simmons Building, 618 Confluence Way SE
4. Bourbon butterscotch blondie ice cream from Village
Now that’s an alliteration that your tastebuds will crave. Scoops of mulled apple cider sorbet are also available.
5. Gingerbread loaf and seasonal cupcakes from Crave Cupcakes
When a gingerbread man isn’t enough, you’ve got to get your hands on this glazed ginger spiced loaf. Other holiday treats include North Pole themed cupcakes, festive coloured cookie sandwiches, gingerbread man cookies, and boxes of assorted holiday cookies.
6. Christmas orange cream tart from Pie Junkie
Get this creamy citrus explosion flavour as a tart or a full pie. For all the butter crust lovers out there, Pie Junkie’s Christmas menu is Santa approved including pie flavours like Christmas orange cream, cranberry curd, and sour cherry.
Locations: Spruce Cliff/Wild Wood, 8 Spruce Centre SW; Kensington, I081 2nd Avenue NW
7. Cinnamon bun doughnut from Jelly Modern
Part cinnamon bun and part doughnut means it’s fully addictive.
Address: 100- 1414 8 Street SW
8. Seasonal flavours from Fiasco Gelato
It’s never too cold for eggnog-flavoured gelato. Other flavours include chocolate peppermint, cranberry and pear, and sticky toffee pudding.
Address: 221 19 Street SE
9. Cinnamon buns from Cobs Bread
All you’ll really want this Christmas is an endless supply of these spiced buns.
10. Baked apple croissants from Sucre Patisserie and Cafe
This apple pie meets croissant hybrid is what dreams are made of.
Address: 1007 8 Street SW
11. Christmas Mini Egg cookie dough from Family Dough
For when even the thought of holiday baking tires you out, go get your hands on this Christmas Mini Egg edible cookie dough.
Locations: Southcentre Mall, 100 Anderson Road SE; Cross Iron Mills, 261055 CrossIron Boulevard
12. Holiday bonbons from The Chocolate Lab
These chocolates are painted in holiday cheer, are absolutely sinful, and incredibly Instagram-able.
Locations: Chinatown, 202D Centre Street SE; Granary Road, 226034 112 Street West
13. Seasonal scoops from Made By Marcus
The frigid tempertures will keep your ice cream cool. Get a taste of El Tigre, wild mint chip, blue cheese pear crumble, and the vegan pumpkin cashew coconut while they last.
Address: 121 1013 17 Avenue SW