Kuzmenko back in as Calgary Flames make lineup changes

Jan 4 2025, 6:45 pm

The Calgary Flames are turning back to Andrei Kuzmenko after having him sit as a healthy scratch the past two games.

It’s been a frustrating season for Kuzmenko, who has managed just one goal through 29 games. He’s sat out several games as a healthy scratch, and also missed a brief stretch with a lower-body injury.

He will be back in the lineup tonight versus the Nashville Predators, where he’ll be looking to impress his coaching staff in order to become a regular in the lineup once again moving forward.

Coming out for Kuzmenko will be Walker Duehr. The 27-year-old has played in 12 games with the Flames since being recalled last month, chipping in with an assist. Kuzmenko will skate in his spot on the fourth line alongside Kevin Rooney and Ryan Lomberg, as reported by Sportsnet 960’s Pat Steinberg.

For Kuzmenko to get back on track, it comes down to one thing specifically in the mind of head coach Ryan Huska.

“We all want him to shoot more because we know the type of shot that he does have,” Huska said. “For me, it’s more important when he’s around the puck, because when he’s around the puck he’s going to put himself in positions where he can use his shot.”

Kuzmenko seemed to agree with the sentiment that he needs to find better opportunities to create higher-quality scoring chances.

“I need more shots. I need more dangerous moments for scoring,” Kuzmenko said. “Dangerous shots [though], not simple shots. If you shoot simple shots, how many people are going to score?”

The other change for the Flames tonight will be between the pipes, as Dustin Wolf is getting the nod. The 23-year-old been victorious in each of his last three starts, the most recent being a 3-1 win versus the Vancouver Canucks on New Years Eve in which he stopped 23 of the 24 shots he faced.

ADVERTISEMENT