The Government of Alberta has released details on their new Energy Efficiency Alberta Program today, saying it will support homeowners and local contractors through rebates for insulation, tankless hot water heaters, and windows.
Home Improvement Rebate
Starting April 28, rebates of up to $3,500 will be available for eligible home improvement products. Insulation for attics, basements and above-grade walls will also be included.
Tankless hot water heaters which are Energy Star certified, and triple glaze low-e argon windows will be available in the new program.
Albertans wanting to apply and qualify for the program must select from a list of Alberta-based registered contractors on efficiencyalberta.ca for installation. Contractors then will guide homeowners through the application and rebates will go directly to the homeowner once each project is complete.
Contractors who want to be added to the registry can apply online. After completing a short training course and you must also meet the following criteria:
- be a legally registered business in Alberta
- have current liability insurance
- have current Workers’ Compensation coverage
The Home Improvement Rebate is one part of Energy Efficiency Alberta’s Residential Retail Products Program, a $24-million program providing opportunities to purchase energy-efficient appliances and products.
The Energy Efficiency Alberta’s Residential Retail Products Program consist of three components which include:
- Home Improvement Rebates: You can buy eligible products and have them installed by a certified contractor to receive rebates.
- Online Rebates: You will be able to buy qualifying clothes washers, refrigerators and smart thermostats, and apply for rebates online.
- Instant Rebates: You can receive instant point-of-sale rebates on eligible products, such as LED lights, programmable thermostats, water-saving devices, smart power strips and heavy-duty timers.
The government says more details on other products in the program will be coming soon.