7 Chinese New Year 2016 events in Calgary
Dec 19 2017, 11:04 am
Bring on the Year of the Monkey, and celebrate Chinese New Year 2016 at various venues around Calgary. For 15 days, welcome the arrival of the lunar new year with everything from fantastic food to traditional performances.
Take a look below for our rundown of seven great Chinese New Year events taking place in Calgary:
Chinese New Year in EV
- What: East Village wants to help you celebrate Chinese New Year by offering a chance to win a Gift Card worth $888 to the Apple Store, and you can grab a fortune cookie while you’re at it, too. The winner will be drawn on Sunday, February 7.
- Where: East Village Experience Centre (EVEC) or N3 Sales Centre from noon to 6 p.m.
- When: Now until February 6 at 5 p.m.
- Cost: free
2016 Year of the Monkey Chinese New Year Carnival
- What: Celebrate the Year of the Monkey over four weekends from January 30 and 31 to February 20 and 21 featuring everything from traditional dances to markets.
- Where: 197 First Street SW
- When: February 7, 13, 20 and 21
- Cost: Free admission
2016 Chinese New Year Ten Course Banquet
- What: Celebrate your hard work, relax and hang out with your family all while wishing for a lucky and prosperous coming year at this Chinese New Year banquet.
- Where: Regency Palace Seafood Restaurant and Lounge – 328 Centre Street SE
- When: Sunday, February 7 at 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Cost: $50 per person
Lunar New Year Celebration 2016
- What: Celebrate the year of the monkey at Raw Bar with Executive Chef Jan Hansen, Chef de Cuisine Jinhee Lee and guest Chef Roy Oh of Anju. Ticket includes cocktail featuring Ciroc Vodka, an abundance of tasty eats from five food stations, passed canapes and custom dessert. A cash bar is also available.
- Where: Raw Bar- 119 12 Ave SW
- When: Monday, February 8 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Cost: $55
Dare to Dream Again: Chinese New Year 7 New Moon Exploration & Ceremony
- What: Be guided through sacred practices to help bring your dreams and desires to life with the help of Evolutionary Medicine Woman Alara Payten, and Transformational Life Coach Susan Cullen.
- Where: Address in Southview area given upon registration
- When: Monday, February 8 from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Cost: Starting at $20
MSSA 2016 Chinese New Year Celebration
- What: Enjoy a 10-course traditional Chinese meal, lion dance, and warrior drum show by Hong de Athletic, Traditional Chinese dance by the Edmonton Chinese Dance Academy, Traditional Malay Dance by Dance for Fun, and a live band all night by Spirators presented by the Malaysia Singapore Social Association.
- Where: 10638 100 Street NW, Edmonton
- When: Saturday, February 13 from 5:30 p.m. to midnight
- Cost: Starting at $45
Sien Lok Society’s 47th annual Chinese New Year Gala
- What: Experience a traditional Chinese 11 course meal, cultural performances (lion dance), classic Chinese Orchestra and more.
- Where: Sien Lok Society of Calgary – 919 Centre Street NW
- When: February 27 from 5:30 p.m.
- Cost: $98