Join the Canmore Highland Games for its 25th anniversary on the Labour Day weekend and immerse yourself in Celtic culture. There are 3 main attractions during the 2 days:
Taste of the Highlands
On Saturday, September 5 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. you have a chance to enjoy the Taste of the Highlands with friends, family or even just by yourself. Enjoy wine, beer, scotch, and food tasting at the Big Rock Festival tent. There will be appetizers served by some of Canmore’s finest restaurants. Sample 90 local and international wines and scotches from some of the world’s most celebrated producers.
- 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
The Highland Games Events
On Sunday, September 6 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. watch The Highland Games. In the morning there will be a pancake breakfast, then the Scottish and Celtic retail booths will be open and then the games begin. Competitors in the individual piping and drumming competition and Heavy Sports Contest will be first followed by Highland Dance Competition, Drum Major competition, Sheep Dog demonstrations and more.
Below is a schedule of the planned events for Sunday (times subject to change without notice):
- 7:00 a.m.- Gates open
- 7:30 a.m.- Pancake Breakfast
- 8:00 a.m.- Scottish & Celtic Retail Booths open
- 8:30 a.m.- Individual Piping & Drumming Competition and Heavy Sports Contest
- 9:00 a.m.- Highland Dance Competition
- 10:00 a.m.- Beer Garden opens in Big Rock Festival Tent
- 10:30 a.m.- Food Concession opens for lunch
- 12:15 p.m.- Drum Major competition
- 12:30 p.m.- Sheep Dog demonstrations
- 12:45 p.m.- Music in the Big Rock Festival Tent with Gail & Karl and Wheat in the Barley
- 1:00 p.m.- Official Canmore Highland Games opening ceremonies
- 1:15 p.m.- 78th Fraser Highlanders Black Powder Demonstration
- 1:45 p.m.- Pipe Band Competition
- 4 p.m.- Sheep Dog demonstration
- 4:45 p.m.- Tug of War
- 5 p.m.- Massed Pipes & Drums of the Canmore Highland Games
The Ceilidh will be occurring in the evening and features an Alberta favorite Celtic music scene, St. James’ Gate with a variety of other Celtic acts like Regimental Pipes & Drums of the Calgary Highlanders.
- 6p.m. to 11p.m. in the Ed McNally Big Rock Festival Tent (heated)
Canmore Highland Games Events
- When: September 5 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday, September 6 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Where: Centennial Park 6th Street, Canmore
- Cost: $5 to $79 depending on event
- Website: canmorehighlandgames.ca