The Calgary Stampede Parade Committee is looking for enthusiastic volunteers to assist on Parade Day, July 7.
Get a front row seat if you choose the street marshall position, or if you’re into flipping some flap jacks apply for the breakfast position.
Three major posts need to be filled: Street Marshals, Parade Breakfast Volunteers, and Parade Day Security.
Street Marshals need to be in their position from 7am until the end of the Parade passes their location. Volunteers must be 18 years or older on Parade day and should be physically capable of standing/walking for at least 2-3 hours.
Street Marshalls responsibilities:
- Help achieve a safe and successful Parade;
- Spectator coordination: keep spectators off the Parade route;
- Keep spectators entertained prior to arrival of the Parade; and
- Provide assistance to nearest first responder in case of emergency or when required.
Parade breakfast volunteers must be available from 5am until 10am. Some cooking or serving experience would be helpful, but is not mandatory.
Parade Breakfast responsibilities:
- Cooking pancakes, sausages, and hash brown patties;
- Serving and distributing food, juice, plates, cutlery, and condiments;
- Ensuring serving and cooking areas are free of tripping hazards;
- Cleaning up of the cooking, serving, and eating table areas; and
- Ensuring that the area is clean of debris.
Parade Day Security is an overnight volunteer opportunity, volunteers must be available on both Thursday, July 6 and Friday, July 7. Members of the security team must be 18 years or older on July 6 and must have a driver’s license.
Parade Day Security responsibilities:
- Be polite and personable,
- Have the ability to think on their feet.
- The need may arise to provide direction and act assertively
- Have the ability to remain calm under pressure and to present oneself with a degree of authority is necessary.
Applications for these and other volunteer opportunities may be submitted online.