Calgary makes list for 2015’s top 10 new bike projects
Calgary recently secured a spot in a list rounding up the top 10 new bike projects within North America in 2015.
Next City created the list based on the quality of bike infrastructure projects, taking into account convenience, usage, safety and more. Calgary’s downtown bike lane network was noted for its safety mechanisms.
“Calgary decided to open three new protected bike lanes at once that are either connected to each other or connected to existing protected and non protected bike lanes,” reads the article.
“Calgary demonstrated they want to make bicycling safer, rather than trying to score points or save money by building an island of safe infrastructure disconnected from everything else.”
Here’s the full list of the top new bike lane projects in North America for 2015:
- Covell Boulevard Protected Intersection (Davis, California)
- 200 West Protected Intersection (Salt Lake City, Utah)
- Protected Intersections (Austin, Texas)
- Western Ave Protected Bike Lane (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Cylbourn Ave Protected Bike Lane (Chicago, Illinois)
- Tilikum Crossing Bridge (Portland, Oregon)
- N Street Protected Bike Lane (Lincoln, Nebraska)
- Point Grey-Cornwall Protected Bike Lanes (Vancouver, BC)
- Harbor Drive Protected Bike Lane (Redondo Beach, California)