Calling all Calgarians!
If you can’t think of any good plans for May, we’ve got you covered! We’ve put together a list of the top five festivals you may want to visit this month.
Whether you’re single, in a relationship, or have kids, one of these festivals is calling your name!
Calgary International Beerfest
- What: If you enjoy a good lager or IPA, this beerfest is a must for you! You can crack open a cold one with some friends or friendly strangers while enjoying your favourite beverage, all while and savouring some of Alberta’s mouth-watering culinary goodness. If you are a newbie to beer, this is the perfect place to find some knowledge on the topic, with 500 different beers to choose from.
- When: Friday, May 4 to Saturday, May 5, 2018
- Time: 3 to 10 pm on Friday, and 2 to 10 pm on Saturday
- Where: BMO Centre – 20 Roundup Way SW, Calgary
- Tickets: $19 to $49, tickets can be purchased online. ID is required
Dogfest Spring Fling
- What: Attention dog parents! If you have a sociable pooch — big or small — this is the perfect chance for them to meet another friendly canine, and for you to spoil them rotten with new toys, treats, and accessories from local vendors. Also, if you’ve ever dreamed of having a portrait created of you and your beloved pup, now’s the chance! Portraits are available for $15.
- When: Saturday, May 12, 2018
- Time: 10 am to 4 pm
- Where: Triwood Arena – 2244 Chicoutimi Drive NW, Calgary
- Admission: Free, you can register you and your pup here
Calgary International Children’s Festival
- What: The perfect place for children to embrace their creative side. This festival brings out the best in performing arts with artists skilled in puppetry, music, dance, and theatre! The festival is filled with indoor performances and outdoor activities perfect for sparking your kid’s imagination, inspiring creativity, encouraging cultural understanding, and helping to create a life-long passion for the arts.
- When: Wednesday, May 23 to Saturday, May 26
- Time: 10 am to 7 pm (every day)
- Where: Arts Commons and Olympic Plaza – 205 8th Avenue, Calgary
- Tickets: $17, you can buy your tickets online
Otafest 2018 — 20th Anniversary of Calgary’s Premier Anime Festival
- What: Are you an anime lover? If you are, come check out Otafest a three-day animation festival featuring hours of Anime screening, special guests, a huge Exhibitor Hall, and an Artist Alley. Meet some of your favourite artists, grab an autograph, and enjoy the cosplay contests, concerts, photo booths, and video game tournaments!
- When: Friday, May 18 to Sunday, May 20, 2018
- Time: 10 am to 10 pm
- Where: Telus Convention Centre – 120 9th Avenue SE, Calgary
- Tickets: Youth (6 to 12): $10 Adults: $55 in advance, $60 at door, tickets can be bought online
Fairy Tales Queer Film Festival
- What: Come and celebrate the creativity and passionate work of national queer artists. Enjoy several entertaining and thought-provoking films throughout the week-long festival! This is the largest queer film festival outside of Vancouver and Toronto.
- When: Friday, May 25 to Saturday, June 2, 2018
- Time: Friday, May 25 at 9 am to Saturday, June 2 at 10 pm
- Where: The Plaza Theatre – 1133 Kensington Road NW, Calgary
- Tickets: $90 for full film pass, which gives you access to over 35 screenings, available online