The weekend is finally here, and with it comes a whole new month!
Spend your days out in the sunshine by checking out any one of these great events going on around the city.
- Calgary Stampede's unlimited 10-day SuperPass is back for $39
- Nashville North reveals full lineup for Calgary Stampede 2018
- Calgary is home to the classiest escape room you'll ever see (PHOTOS)
Friday, June 1
- What: Come grab a fire-roasted pizza from your favourite neighbourhood pizza shop, Famoso’s on 4th, and check out their new renovations. A gorgeous centre bar, natural lighting, cosy booths, and more, they have really taken the concept of a local pizza eatery to the next level. Step into Italy and enjoy!
- When: Opened early April
- Where: 2303 4th Avenue SW
Dust off your road bike
- It looks like Calgary has seen the last of the snow, for the next five months at least – fingers crossed! So it’s the perfect time to get out your road bike and head down to the river for some beautiful views and a great afternoon of adventures, exploring Calgary’s bike paths.
- What: Coming all the way from the National Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, this exciting exhibition has been traveling North America for the last 10 years and Calgary marks its final destination. Excite your senses with this unique cultural experience that will show you everything you need to know about the king of the ocean; the whale. The exhibit shows everything from life-size whale skeletons to the evolution of these creatures and understanding how they communicate. There is so much to know about these beautiful beings.
- When: January 20 to June 20
- Where: Telus Spark – 220 St. George’s Drive NE
- Tickets: Online, $26
- What: Board game cafes make a great first date, as there are lots of icebreaker opportunities to make it very obvious if there will be a second date in the cards. Alternatively, it’s a fun way to hang out with friends and spice up the usual catch-up coffee affair. Plus, there is nothing wrong with some healthy competition!
- Hexagon Board Game Cafe – #200 1140 Kensington Road NW, Calgary
- Boxcar Board Game Cafe – 1215 1st Street SW, Calgary
- What: In only one year this colourful container lot has turned into a popular Calgary mainstay. Located behind the King Edward Hotel, this is a unique destination that features local retail shops, workshops, music, art, and, of course, YYC Food Trucks. You won’t want to miss out on the fun summer festivities that they have planned at this hip community gathering space.
- When: May 18 to September 3
- Where: 430 8th Avenue SE
- Admission: FREE
Saturday, June 2
- What: Join Lululemon every Saturday morning for a fun morning run through iconic mountain landscapes and a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of the busy town streets!
- When: Every Saturday morning
- Time: 9 am
- Where: Lululemon Banff – 121 Banff Avenue, Banff
- Admission: Free!
- What: Celebrate the rich and unique heritage of the Ukraine culture at this fun two-day event. Enjoy the variety of stage shows highlighting local talent, satisfy your taste buds with some delicious eats and traditional Ukrainian beverages, and shop till you drop at the marketplace.
- When: June 2 to 3
- Time: 11 am
- Where: Acadia Recreation Complex – 240 90th Avenue SE
- Tickets: Purchased at the door, $8 to $12
- What: Join icon Beverley Mahood for an evening as she takes the stage for a star-studded benefit concert all in support of Calgary’s Seniors.
- When: Saturday, June 2
- Time: 6 to 10 pm
- Where: Studio Bell – 850 4th Street SE
- Tickets: Online, $75 to $175
- What: If you’re looking for an experience of a lifetime, then it’s time you see the Alberta landscape from a completely different view – the air! Grab a few friends and take a ride in a state-of-the-art helicopter for incredible views of the city and the surrounding Rocky Mountains.
- Where: Takes off from the Springbank Airport or Drumheller Airport – 402 Otter Bay
- When: Year-round
- Cost: Between $400 to $1,6000, rate for up to three passengers
Sunday, June 3
Go on a spring hike!
- What: Now that most of the snow has cleared away, grab your hiking shoes and head up to the Rockies for some fresh mountain air and stunning scenic views – just don’t forget your camera! Try Grassi Lakes, Johnston Canyon, or Grotto Canyon if you’re looking for an adventure a bit shorter in length, but doesn’t compromise the quality of the view. If you’re a thrill seeker and up for the challenge try out Ha Ling Peak, Crypt Lake, or Aylmer Lookout, because the end view will take your breath away – literally! Find more hikes to do around Alberta here!
- Where: The Canadian Rocky Mountains
- What: Did someone say road trip? Grab some pals and your camera and go cruising on this stretch of highway between Jasper and Lake Louise. The views are tremendous, but just make sure you don’t limit you to one single destination. It’s all about the drive and what you’ll discover!
- Where: Highway between Jasper and Lake Louise
- What: It’s that time of year again when 4th street is overcome by one of Calgary’s largest and more adored street festivals! Throughout the day you will have the opportunity to discover great new bands, shop the large variety of artists and makers, and munch on some delectable bites from some of the best food trucks and venues in YYC. Immerse yourself completely in Calgary’s arts and culture scene while you experience the best of what this city has to offer!
- When: June 3
- Time: 10 am to 6 pm
- Where: 4th Street between 13th and Elbow Drive SW
- Cost: FREE
- What: For the month of May, start your Sunday off right with a free boot camp class courtesy of Caron Anderson at the CORE. Time to get started on your summer bod!
- When: Every Sunday in May
- Time: 11 am
- Where: Dome Tower – 333, 7th Avenue SW
- Cost: FREE
- What: Due to extreme hail and other contributing factors this festival had to be put on hold for a few years — but it’s back and larger than ever! Visit this real working asparagus farm, experience their story firsthand, enjoy a fully narrated wagon ride, watch the harvest in action, and even get the opportunity to pick some asparagus for yourselves. You’ll also have the opportunity to shop their Country Store and the artisan market village while saying hello to all the farm animals and joining in on the many festivities happening throughout the day!
- When: May 27, June 3 and June 10
- Time: 10 am to 4 pm
- Where: 1465 Twp. Road 352
- Admission: $5, kids 5 and under are free
- What: Take a break from the heat and have an ice-cold bevy on one of Calgary’s best patios. From rooftops to hidden gardens, there are plenty of spots to choose from that will have the vibe and ambiance you’re looking for. Check out some of Calgary’s best rooftop patios here!
- What: Take your bike out for a cruise and enjoy the breathtaking scenery that this 22.3 km trail has to offer! The trail links the Town of Banff and Canmore through an additional 4.5 km of pathway outside of Banff National Park boundaries, from the Banff Park East Gate to the Travel Alberta Visitor Information Centre.
- Where: Banff Park East Gate to the Bow Valley Parkway