Ah, the weekend. So close, yet still so far away.
Make the end of the week fly by this Thursday by checking out any of these great events going on around Calgary. Between theatrical performances and underground festivals, we’re sure you’ll find something to your liking.
- Calgary Public Art: An Auspicious Find at Prince's Island Park
- Four Canadian experiences featured on The World's Ultimate Bucket List
- Alberta introduces legislation to restrict gas exports in response to BC pipeline opposition
- What: If DJD is known for anything, it’s their ability to come up with the unthinkable! For this year’s spring performance they have collaborated with Peter Balkwill of the Old Trout Puppet Workshop to bring you a performance that features both dancers and puppets, two highly physical, wordless art forms, in all their glory. It’s cheeky, it’s carnal, and it’s nothing you have ever seen before. Come see what happens when dancers and puppets share the stage!
- When: April 19 to May 5
- Evening performances: 8 pm
- Matinee performances: 2 pm
- Where: The DJD Dance Centre – 111 12th Avenue SW
- Tickets: Online, $34 to $69
- What: She can sing, twirl, and pivot the way into anyone’s heart, but is she good enough to win the Miss Caledonia tiara? Set in the 1950s, follow along on the adventures of Peggy Ann Douglas as she pursues her dream of becoming a Hollywood movie star, one step at a time!
- When: April 12 to 21
- Monday to Saturday: Noon to 1 pm
- Thursday to Friday: 6 to 7 pm
- Where: Lunchbox Theatre – 160 115 9th Avenue SE
- Tickets: Online, $26
- What: See this beloved classic by Frances Hodgson Burnett come to life on stage in this beautifully composed Broadway musical! See how a young girl used a magical key and a secret garden to warm the hearts of her uncle, family, and the audience during the show.
- When: April 17 to May 19
- Where: Max Bell Theatre – 220 9th Avenue SW
- Tickets: Online, $35 to $103
- What: Come support your local independent filmmakers as they defy convention at the 15th annual Calgary Underground Film Festival.
- Where: Globe Cinema – 617 8th Avenue SW
- When: April 16 to 22
- Time: Varies depending on the day
- Tickets: Online, $99 to $120
Dust off your road bike
- It looks like Calgary may be seeing the last of the snow, for the next five months at least – fingers crossed! So it’s the perfect time to get out your road bike and head down to the river for some beautiful views and a great afternoon of adventures, exploring Calgary’s bike paths.