Board game cafes are fantastic and trendy places to hang out, either for a casual cup of coffee, or for game night.
Calgary is home to four stellar board game cafes, all of which are open late. Most of them even serve wine and beer if you’d like to pair a glass of white wine with your Settlers of Catan.
- A 'Netflix for movie theatres' subscription service just launched in Canada
- 15 best cocktail bars to grab a drink at in Calgary
- Here's how much it's going to cost to see the pandas at the Calgary Zoo
This cool locale serves snacks, salads, sandwiches, pizza, coffee, pop, wine and beer, and is home to over 350 games to play.
You can check out their entire collection of games online and you can take any of them home to rent for $5 per night.
The cost for a table is $3 per hour, though from Monday to Thursday it’s only $5 for unlimited play-time. During peak times hours and days game play is limited to three hours per group.
They also have games available for sale.
Where: 1215 1st Street SW
- Sunday to Thursday: 11 am to 11 pm
- Friday to Saturday: 11 pm to 2 am
This one is probably the most well known in the city, with locations both in Calgary and Edmonton.
Hexagon offers players a wide assortment of games, as well as refreshments. Food, coffee, beer, and wine can all be enjoyed while you’re playing a game.
This location can be a little more pricey, with games costing $2.50 per hour per person. Their entire game library is available online, and games are available for sale.
Where: 1140 Kensington Road NW
Hours: Monday to Thursday: 8:00 am to 11:00 pm. Friday: 8:00 am to 1:00 am. Saturday: 9:00 am to 1:00 am. Sunday: 9:00 am to 11:00 pm.
Metal Galaxy Social Games and Bistro
This cafe boasts a game library of over 300 games and loaner card decks available to play every day of the week.
The bistro offers a widely varied menu offering waffles, ice cream, cold drinks, coffee, beer and wine, pizza, sandwiches and hotdogs.
Where: 4624 Macleod Trail
- Monday to Tuesday: 10 am to 6 pm (self-serve only)
- Wednesday: 10 am to 9 pm (Bistro open from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm)
- Thursday to Saturday 10 am to 9 pm (Bistro open 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm)
- Sunday Noon to 7 pm (Bistro open noon to 6 pm)
First opening in 2016, this is a full retail, cafe and gaming store. For the retail aspect of their business, they have a second location at Crossroads Market.
With tons of trading cards from Pokemon, Yu-Gi-oh! and Magic the Gathering, as well as Games Workshop products and board games, there are no shortages of choices.
They also have a food menu that includes Belgian waffles, crepes, smoothies, and fish and chips.
- Home location: 509 McKnight Boulevard NE.
- Crossroads Market location: 1235 26th Avenue SE.
Home Location Hours:
- Monday to Thursday: 11 am to 9 pm
- Friday to Saturday: 11 am to 11 pm
- Sunday: 11 am to 6 pm
Crossroads Market Hours:
- Friday to Sunday: 9 am to 5 pm