Calgary hero and WWE legend Bret ‘Hit Man’ Hart spoke about the road to recovery after a successful robotic prostatectomy earlier this year.
The 58-year old Hall of Famer broke the news to fans and supporters in February that he had prostate cancer and would be undergoing surgery. At that time, he said he wanted to be “a leader in awareness” and an example of how prostate cancer can be beaten.
This week, in an exclusive interview with WWE, Hart talked about the importance of early detection and why he decided to go public with his diagnosis. Although he knows there is a chance the cancer could come back, he says the surgery went well and that it seems the cancer was contained within his prostate.
Hart posted the following update on his Facebook page on Thursday:
I just want to clarify that, while the surgery went well and my doctors and I are optimistic, it is still way too early to declare that it’s now a non-issue. I will be monitored every 3 months over the next couple of years as there is a possibility that the cancer can come back. It will be a while before I can say I’m cancer free.
Buy this t-shirt and support Hart’s fight, and a portion of the proceeds will go towards the Prostate Cancer Centre.